Pioneer Trail Metal Detector-PLEASE HELP!!!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerboy209

Good afternoon everybody. I was wondering if somebody would be able to offer me some assitance. I am very new to this hobby so please be patient... The metal detector I'm using has 3 modes, VLF, TR1, and TR2. Also an analog meter for ferros/ non-ferrous metals. The detector will only sound off non-ferrous hits. The environment that I am using an old river bed that hasnt been mined since the 80's. Now the problem that I keep running into is that I just cannot tell the difference in the tones between trash and gold. And I've tried with the headphones on and off!! Now in the manual to the detector it clearly states that "the detector will sound a louder tone for the most valuable metal." That means gold right? If somebody would be so kind to offer me a lil friendly insight to this problem I am having. Its beginning to get very frustrating! Ha ha....
Thanks

Boxerboy209 said:
Good afternoon everybody. I was wondering if somebody would be able to offer me some assitance. I am very new to this hobby so please be patient... The metal detector I'm using has 3 modes, VLF, TR1, and TR2. Also an analog meter for ferros/ non-ferrous metals. The detector will only sound off non-ferrous hits. The environment that I am using an old river bed that hasnt been mined since the 80's. Now the problem that I keep running into is that I just cannot tell the difference in the tones between trash and gold. And I've tried with the headphones on and off!! Now in the manual to the detector it clearly states that "the detector will sound a louder tone for the most valuable metal." That means gold right? If somebody would be so kind to offer me a lil friendly insight to this problem I am having. Its beginning to get very frustrating! Ha ha....
Thanks
I'm sorry you got stuck with one of these - all newer, (last 20 yrs) are vlf (very low frequency) & TR 1 & 2 are transmitter-receiver modes, very outdated. unfortunately, the spiuke in gold prices has seen a flood of these on the market, at elevated prices. They just do not have the depth & pinpoint precision of newer models.

that being said, a lot of times its less the machine than the operator: so build yourself a test area. Put specific items (copper & zinc pennies, silver, copper & nickel based coins, don't forget trash, bottle caps, fishing weights, etc.)in precise locations, at recorded depths, & mark these with plastic coathanger pieces or chopsticks NO METAL. Then shoot them all at in very mode, keep a notebook.until you can tell the difference between a hunk of aluminbum foil & a silver coin.

you'll also need one of the little books (they were/are about 4" X 5") put out by Garrett metal detectors, an older one, and learn all about ground balancing, ferrous/nonferrous modes.Newer, more advanced machines do all that for you, though some purists prefer to do their own, I hear. Also, the reason you may not be finding anything but trash is because there is only trash left. Serious detectors in the '80's were using detectors far superior to yours, & those guys dug everything!

i've been through it myself, but unfortunately the market is flooded with junk right now.

hang in there, though & good luck!
jordan

But practise, practise, practise - there is NO shortcut.

Dtectr,
That was some great advice, I have an older Garret and a new Whites and have not had a lot of luck with it either of late and what you suggested in a great way for me to become more familiar with how my whites reacts to the different types of metal. I am going to have to go and try this out.

Thanx for the excellent idea and advice for boxerboy209.

Good Hunting

I can say from experience that dtectr is spot on with his advice. I have a Fisher that has given me fits since I got it with false signals. Everytime I get discouraged with it I head for my 'garden' and after a while I can once again tell when its 'silver tone' is for a coin and when its for deep iron

-Lance

Back