• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

214.9g Gold-Filled Watch Bands - All Pieces Marked

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapparts

I have 214.9g of white and yellow gold filled watch bands. All pieces are hallmarked Gold Filled or G.F. Top.

I will pay FREE shipping to anywhere in the Lower 48 States by USPS. I can only accept PayPal. No trades.

PM your offer

2017-06e.jpg

2017-06f.jpg

2017-06g.jpg

What are you wanting to get for them?

After decapping, thats honestly not a lot of goldfill material.
Thats not to say that im not interested..

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am not concerned with what anyone is going to do with them and how long it's going to take to strip them down.

All I ask is that if anyone is interested ... PM me. And please, by all means, make me an offer. If I tell what I want (money), then there will be someone saying "It's not worth that much" or "I only pay such n such per gram" and so on. Since I don't have a set price, I ask for anyone to PM me their offer. If I had a set price for it, I would list it at that price and wouldn't ask for anyone to PM me.

Once again, no offense, but I'm interested in people wanting to make me an offer and not explain to me what it will take to do whatever you're going to do with it and how much time it'll take and so on.

scrapparts

I meant it more like this:
You will get more money offered to you If the caps (the only gold bearing material) is removed and weighed.

With them being on the steel bands still, it's more of a gamble than anything, so most will make a very conservative offer.

Just sayin

Don't take this the wrong way. Even though this is the buy slash sell section, the purpose of this forum foremost is to educate. If you only want to sell your items and not receive feedback or opinions then eBay is where you want to sell them. Once again no offense!

I took the time to educate myself last night with these watch bands and this is what I came up with after writing down every piece and weighing them. I have a good estimate on the raw weight of them, being as though I've taken some watch bands apart and weighed them again after all the junk was removed.

Let's see if anyone is interested now.

Y E L L O W
* 1/40 10KGF = 29.0g
* 1/20 10KGF = 60.8g
* 1/20 12KGF = 61.8g
* 10KGF = 9.8g ................TOTAL = 161.4g

W H I T E
* 1/20 10KGF = 42.7g
* 10KGF = 9.5g .................TOTAL = 52.2g

UNKNOWN (I believe it to be 1/20 10KGF)
9.4g (yellow) ....................TOTAL = 9.4g

To be conservative, I subtracted 50% of the weight from each group.

Yellow= 80.7g
White = 26.1g
Unknown (yellow) 4.7g ........TOTAL RAW WEIGHT = 111.5g

I have already used the "Gold-Filled Calculator" online and came up with an estimated amount of gold to be recovered and the estimated value of this batch.

Now you have all the info needed to determine what it's really worth to you. I also needed to post this information because i've gotten some pm's, and the offers were a crying shame. I believe the offers were so low due to the fact no one, including myself didn't know exactly what I have. Now I do. It may not be exact, but I'm not far off according to my notes and calculations.

scrapparts.

I hate to be THAT guy.. But..
1/30 and 1/40 is considered rolled gold, goldfilled is 5, 10, and 20% total karat weight.

And, call me crazy, or maybe Im unlucky.. But no watch band caps I have EVER removed have been 50% of the weight including the band...ever.
And I have taken apart hundreds of them, literally..
Thats pretty much what I was exclusively refining for awhile.
The weight of the caps after removal from the steel bands was anywhere from 5 to 20% of the total weight, depending on if it was capped on the top and bottom, and the style of band itself.

Im not trying to nit pick, just trying to help you out, so you get the most money you possibly can.

If they were decapped, I would have made an offer the first ten minutes the post was up, but, I was hesitant to do so with the bands and caps intact, as they skew the offer greatly, and that being the case, obviously I would have to make a very conservative offer.
-which you may see as disrespectful, but, I have to at least break even, or I'll be sleeping om the couch with the dog for awhile...

When people locally sell me whole watch bands I offer 2 to 5 cents a gram.. But if they are just the caps, I can generally do a pretty accurate estimation of what the yield will be, so I can make a MUCH more fair offer, which is ten times that amount, at least..

The other hesitation that most have with goldfill is the amount of wear they have. Since the layer of karat gold is only on the outside of the item, obviously with time it wears off leaving the base metal core, which is valueless.

Again, I mean no disrespect in this post. This is just my observation and opinion on the matter. ...take it for what its worth

I added info about this batch to provide a clear detail about what i have.

Let me point out a few things.

a) I posted my items for sale and asked anyone INTERESTED in it, pm me and make me an offer. I received 2 offers so far, and they were too low for me to do. And I believe their offers were so low is because they didn't really know what they would be getting...... problem solved.

b) What I see in this post as far as comments are concerned, they're focused on the fact they have to be taken apart and that's a reason to low ball. Are people wanting to buy it ALREADY stripped down? If so, look at the below picture.

c) I've stripped down enough gold-filled watch bands and even processed some and made a button. The weights after stripping down watch bands vary, and even with all the various bands out there that are gold filled, that doesn't mean that you wouldn't come across a watch band that has approximately 10% waste, leaving approximately 90% of the weight after stripping down the band. Look at the picture below and at the watch band on the right (both parts) and that band by itself weigh 27g, and even if I was to strip the trash out of it, I'm guessing it will weigh approximately 20g. Just because you never have ran across a certain piece, or pieces, does not mean they don't exist, even if you've been doing this since you were a child. There are many gold-filled pieces out there that you just never ran across.

20170625_150638.jpg

Look at the watch band below. If anyone had just these in their batch, they would have approximately 10% total waste, verses most of the material you've ever dealt with. No matter how long anyone does anything, they more than likely still haven't see it all. I say that with confidence.

20170625_150854.jpg

d) I can easily break them down, like in the next picture and posted that actual batch in front of me if I wanted to and then try to sell them. I didn't know that working to get the gold was such a hassle. I can break all these pieces down in less than an hour. So I can not understand the problem being that they have to be broken down.

The next picture is of some material I have in front of me that I broke down from watch bands and a few other gold-filled material, and separated anything that's magnetic. If having to break them down and not knowing upfront what you can realistically recover from it, then this isn't something you'd be interested in. I don't know how much money I can make off of it, but I have a general ball park figure of the amount of gold I can recover.

20170625_150944.jpg

All in all, some of the comments feel like an attack on my posting. I can easily strip these myself if I want and either keep them or sell them. But, if it's like "They have to be stripped, and there will be less weight, so I'm going to offer very little" vs "They're already stripped down, so now I'm ready to make an offer". Then I might as well make sure i'm making a profit because I'm taking my time to have to break them down.

no matter how it goes, I can process this batch myself and put it with my other batch I showed above, but the problem with my other batch is that I never documented the material, even though they were hallmarked, so I don't want to mix them.

But I would be willing to process this myself and see if I recover as much gold as I expect to get. I don't have the facility to do any refining right now, so I can sell some of my material or process it myself, and still buy material to process and (or) sell.

If no one buys, no problem because i have more watch bands i had for a few months that I still haven't taken apart yet.

No matter the outcome of this listing, I do know that what I received replied here, for the most part has been about this batch is either worth nothing to just a few dollars. I do know better, no matter what I've heard on some accord. Everybody's process, refining and results will more than likely be different than another person's process. A person could have been processing for years and still keep doing certain thing the wrong way.

And since I'm getting comments, how much gold do you think you can recover from this. All I would want to know is a figure. That's all.

How much would you pay for that 114.2g of material above already stripped and ready for torching and into the solutions?

scrapparts

I just learned something new today on this forum in this field, and I thank all of you, even though I didn't understand the difference here that the watch bands would be better served already stripped from all foreign object and magnetic parts.

If that's what you want, I'll break everything down into their respective groups, keep all the non-magnetic parts and magnetic parts separately, and keep all known trash and send it to you, all expenses paid.

I wouldn't mind breaking them down to see if my calculations are close as far as the weight, being stripped. Even I send it out to you, you'll have everything that came from that batch, all separated. All you'll have to do is process it yourself, and if you're really feeling lucky, you could go through the remaining material and may find something that I overlooked.

I still have scrap parts from old work because I am not sure of. but at least I never threw anything in the trash. I also recently this year started taking gold-filled watch bands apart. Some of those bands are tricky until you understand the way they're mostly made (2 parts vs 1 part) .

If someone is interested in buying this kind of material already broken down for you, just let me know. I have material to work on too.

scrapparts.

It seems you took my words as an attack instead of the spirit with which they were offered.

You said you got 2 lowball offers, in my reply, i mentioned why that would be.
Nobody wants to take the chance of losing money.
So, that being the case, why not remove that variable?

And your picture posted as an example, it has the bezels. Those not being part of the band, but the face. They will always yield more in comparison to the bands itself. As they are under different manufacturing stipulations than the band itself (that is mentioned in Hokes testing book, and Wise's Gold book)

Really, I wasnt trying to be a prick, but trying to help you out..
Its hard to convey expression through written words at times, and the inflection of them is easily misinterpreted.

As Palladium mentioned earlier, eBay is a great way to sell anything gold related. On there the buyers wont try to educate you..

Scrap yards do the same thing. If you bring in something that is uncleaned they will dock you big time on the price. Same way with gold and silver. Stripping them down will insure both you and the buyer have a better understanding of the value involved and will insure you get the most value for your items.

Point taken everyone. I now have some more education today. Sometimes it really is hard to understand the emotion of what someone is trying to say when written down, and people (like myself) can take it the wrong way when it really it wasn't meant to be that way. So, I am sorry for thinking I was being attacked instead of being helped. This post actually did help me, so I feel like a winner knowing you knowledgeable people help gave your input. I appreciate this info so much. I actually learned something here.

I guess I should strip these pieces down and take it from there. I'll post pictures once I'm done and if anyone is still interested, just let me know.

Thanks again for all the replies.

scrapparts

You're very welcome sir and this is the educational aspect i spoke of and the purpose for the creation of this forum.

I know this is an old post. I am trying to learn about gold filled Items and how to evaluate there value.

I have built a sulfur stripping cell and I am looking to purchase gold filled and plated items.

I realize that there are many types and values. I was just curious if final pictures and values were established.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

A sulfuric cell works well with plated items but I don't think it will get all gold from gold filled objects.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
A sulfuric cell works well with plated items but I don't think it will get all gold from gold filled objects.

Göran
Thanks.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Back