• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I Will Trade My UREA For Your Stannous Chloride (dry)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrapparts

I have approximately 5 lbs of UREA that I won't be using again. I bought 5 lbs of it and have used approximately 2 tablespoons worth of it. I won't be using it anymore, but I do need to make some stannous testing solution asap. So, if you have some stannous chloride (Anhydrous) and want to trade some, let me know.

I don't know how much you may need, so let me know because I am wanting it all gone (about 5 lbs) asap.

PM me if you want to trade or even barter for this UREA, but, I do need the stannous.

I will pay to ship to anywhere in the lower 48 states. You pay to ship to me.

scrapparts

scrapparts said:
I have approximately 5 lbs of UREA that I won't be using again. I bought 5 lbs of it and have used approximately 2 tablespoons worth of it. I won't be using it anymore, but I do need to make some stannous testing solution asap. So, if you have some stannous chloride (Anhydrous) and want to trade some, let me know.

I don't know how much you may need, so let me know because I am wanting it all gone (about 5 lbs) asap.

PM me if you want to trade or even barter for this UREA, but, I do need the stannous.

I will pay to ship to anywhere in the lower 48 states. You pay to ship to me.

scrapparts
Please PM me outright purchase price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I've never cared much for urea but I did buy a bucket full once. I was in a rural area that had a company that supplied bulk fertilizer and other chemicals to farmers. I'm thinking the urea cost much less than a dollar per pound - maybe around $.20.

If you want to buy some urea, you can get 5 lb of it on eBay for $11.99 FREE SHIPPING. It's about half the price I paid for it on eBay some time ago.

Since I originally posted this, I bought a 10g (I believe) bottle of stannous crystals to make some gold testing solution. I also read here on the forum somewhere how to make the stannous crystals, so, all I'm going to do now is get me some hydrochloric acid and make my own from this point forward. I have plenty of tin. Although Muriatic Acid is also known as hydrochloric acid, I haven't tried making any testing solution with it yet. I'm not sure if it would give me false positives. I may make a batch just to test. I already have some gold standard I use to test my stannous.

At this point, I am still willing to trade for some stannous crystals, yet, I'll trade for something else. Not sure what I need most, but I'm open for offers. No matter how I do it, I'll still pay around $6+ to ship 5 lbs anywhere in the USA.

scrapparts

I bought this about 7 years ago, from the same seller, I think, and the price is still the same. The crystals were lily white, as they should be. Assuming it's the same stuff, it's the best deal I've seen on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stannous-Chloride-Anhydrous-99-8-1-4-lb/312026816682?hash=item48a63f60aa:g:VRcAAOxyoahSWxR~

The 1st time I made stannous chloride, maybe 30 years ago, I made it according to the Hoke book and put mossy tin in it. Worked fine with some fiddling, but, since then, I just made it up fresh, when I needed it and maybe use it for 2 or 3 days. Takes about 1-2 minutes to make it. A gram of stannous chloride, 15 ml of HCl, and 15 ml of water, in a 100ml beaker, with a glass eyedropper in it. If you want the 1/4 pound (113g) to last 10 times longer, you can cut the makeup down to, say, 0.1g, and use 1.5ml of HCl and water. You only use a drop or 2 per test and there are 15-20 drops in a ml. Instead of weighing and measuring, you can eyeball it. If there is some HCl in it and it all dissolves, it will work. Out of habit, I still test it with some gold solution. Make sure everything is clean. If you use the Hoke method, don't put it in a bottle with a rubber bulb, as I and some other forum members did. The gases from the mossy tin slowly dissolving will expand the bulb and it will blow, as mine did.

I always use a white 12 cavity spot plate. I first add a drop of the solution I'm testing and then a drop of stannous chloride soln. With gold, it will usually turn a fairly permanent purple or near-black. If it turns purple or black and then this color quickly disappears, there is a lot of free nitric present. In that case, I make a new test with 1 drop of the soln. being tested, plus 2 or 3 drops or water, and finally 1 drop of stannous chloride soln. The water dilution tends to kill the adverse effect of too much free nitric and the purple or black color will be retained.

I never saw much sense with messing with tin solder, when the stannous chloride is so cheap. Store the stannous chloride crystals in an amber bottle, sealed in a dark, cool place, for best shelf life. You don't want the color to change from the lily-white.

Back