• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Copper Powder - Cheap

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

One of the scrap yards I deal with a lot has the remnants of a drum of copper powder. There's probably 20-30 lbs left in there. It's approximately 200-300 mesh? (hard for me to estimate)

I'm paying $3.00 / lb, and if just a few people want a pound or two in a zip lock bag sent via flat rate box, I'd be happy to just sell it at cost.

They've just been dumping it in their #2 copper a half gallon at a time.

I mixed a little in nitric just to make sure I seemed to get a nice reaction, which I did. I also sprinkled some onto some silver nitrate I've got sitting in my hood, which again gave a reaction, though it did clump a little. I got it mostly to speed up some cementation of dirty solutions with a little too much nitric (not that any of us EVER do that)

I will also be getting it shot with XRF before purchasing any more than what I have, just to make sure there's not any nasties in it.

Attachments

• IMG_3181.JPG
    IMG_3181.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 305
So, if you haven't claimed it, you are out.

I'm shipping a sample off to Lou to make sure it's suitable. If it is, I'll buy the remainder, fill small orders for those that were interested, and take the rest down to Lou when I visit.

There is copper powder available on Ebay for 12 somethin a pound. That cost is negligible when compared to any small volume reagent you are purchasing for refining.

To be fair, knowledge like that which he shares (and any of our experienced refiners for that matter) isn't available anywhere else...people should recognize that there is inherent value in this knowledge.

snoman701 said:
To be fair, knowledge like that which he shares (and any of our experienced refiners for that matter) isn't available anywhere else...people should recognize that there is inherent value in this knowledge.
So very, very true!

Once, I was granted access to a report by a DoD office overseeing technology transfer. One aspect of that report was the acknowledgement of the difference between types of "knowledge".

One type is the “show how” knowledge that you receive while getting your formal education which ends with a piece of paper confirming that you have retained and assimilated some of the knowledge that was shown to you while attending your classes.

Then, if you’re lucky, you get hired by a company that will pay you to exercise that “show how” knowledge. If you’re really, really lucky you get to do this exercise of “show how” with skilled team members with many, many more years of experience which has transformed their “show how” knowledge into hard gained “know how” knowledge. The hard gained, always sought for, “tricks of the trade”.

The report’s point was that any transfer of technological knowledge is a form of “show how” knowledge that, in order to be successful, had to be transferred to someone with the “know how” to properly assimilate it into their sphere of use.

Or as my miner/cowboy of a father would have said . . . "You can take a horse to water, but, you can't make him drink." A "thirst" for knowledge is fundamental to success.

Thank you for providing this well of knowledge! :D

James

It works, I haven't had any free time to get any more.

powder copper is available on Ebay for 13/lb if you are in a hurry

Back