• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Dell laptops set up with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS or Linux Mint

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdoc

I have a few nice laptops I got in, that I had to buy hard drives and caddies and memory for that I have set up with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and one with Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. And a few I set up with all the gun files I have, manuals, books, Youtube videos as well as a bunch of TV series and movies.

They are Dell Latitude E5420s have 320 and 500 GB hard drives and 3 GB memory in them.
I have to get $100 plus shipping for 320GB and $110 plus shipping for the 500 GB, or trade?.

I have a few docking stations that I have to test as well. I set up the one I am keeping with dual monitors with a docking station, and plan another docking station in my garage (when I clear space for it).

The ones with the TV shows, movies, gun books and gun building files are open to offers. (About 350-400 GB worth) May be open to trades of C&R firearms, gun parts kits, gun parts, maybe gold or silver?

If any of you want a decent laptop to learn Ubuntu on this could be it. I set them up with Firefox Adblock Plus, Imagus, Ghostery, and Youtube Download Helper as I do for my own. They all have working wifi and some have webcams. If you want to ruin it by installing Windows, the numbers are on the stickers for Win 7. I don't want anything to do with Windows.

I love linux. It is a great thing to learn.

Have you tried Chromium for a browser? It is pretty solid on my Raspbian/Debian builds.

No I stick with Firefox, I like the AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Imagus and Youtube Download Helper.

Do they have add-ons like those for Chromium?

jimdoc said:
No I stick with Firefox, I like the AdBlock Plus, Ghostery, Imagus and Youtube Download Helper.

Do they have add-ons like those for Chromium?

Oh yes, there are many many many extensions (plug-ins) for Chromium.
I use uBlock, h264ify, Hover Zoom+ (this is a good one for ebay, zoom in on pictures without entering the auction), Barry's Image Zoom (I like that one for pictures that just aren't quite big enough, gives infinite zoom with mouse wheel). Ghostery is for chrome as well as Firefox, ditto for Imagus and YtDH.

I used to like firefox a lot, for some reason I switched to Chrome (chromium on Linux), and I haven't looked back.
-Sorry to hi-jack the thread

Everyone buy these from Jim NOW.
That is all

You can hi-jack any of my threads, no problem.

I simply am familiar with Firefox, and have never had any problems with it. I may go to Linux Mint if I don't like the changes coming to Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but 16.04 LTS is supported until 2021 I think.
If I did have problems, then I would have checked out other options.

I definitely prefer Linux mint to Ubuntu; they both are so similar being Debian, but Mint just runs more to my liking. I also prefer Firefox but admittedly haven’t tried Chrome too much. I am proud to say I quit Windows in 2007 and only use it on a virtual machine for the rare instance I need a windows program (turbo tax). I ran a hackintosh for a few years but having to start from scratch with every new version of OSX got old; I also now believe OSX is riddled with as many bugs and performance glitches as the Microsoft counterpart.

How much for a laptop? Specs?

Edit: forgot to inquire about the laptops

Auful said:
How much for a laptop? Specs?

The prices are in the top post, the ones with the armorer's courses, gun files and extras are open to offers, I expect them to sell on the gun forum or to a local guy but are still available as of now.
They are core i3's and core i5's and vary from 2.20 x 4 to 2.50 x 4. And I have at least 3 GB of memory in each.

I only have a few power adapters (Dell PA-10, and PA-12 family), and have sold a few laptops on the gun forum, so I may run out of power adapters. And the battery condition varies on them.

I got a bunch more of these in if anyone is interested.
Most of these are E5430 Latitudes with 4 or 8 GB of memory with 500 GB hard drives.
With Ubuntu 16.04.4 installed. $100 plus shipping or maybe trades like in first post?

The one pictured is an E6420 Latitude with I5 2.50 x 4 processor, 8GB memory.
(This one pictured already sold on Weapons Guild, But some of the E5430s are just as nice)

Attachments

• DSCF0774.JPG
    DSCF0774.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 175
  • DSCF0776.JPG
    DSCF0776.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 175
I have a bunch more of these available. I have sold or traded around 30 of these over on Weaponsguild, and everybody is happy with them. Tired of Windows?

E5420, E5430, E5440 with Ubuntu 18.04 installed. All in nice condition. Have docking stations available for them also for $25.

$110 plus shipping with 8 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive.
$100 plus shipping with 4 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive.
May trade for silver or gold.

Have you checked what Best Buy will give you on them? Sometimes I'm shocked at what they buy laptops for. A quick check shows your E5440 with a I-5 and 8gb of memory with power adapter and battery, in good condition will get you $95.00 in Best Buy gift cards. A great way to trade up into new equipment.

silversaddle1 said:
Have you checked what Best Buy will give you on them? Sometimes I'm shocked at what they buy laptops for. A quick check shows your E5440 with a I-5 and 8gb of memory with power adapter and battery, in good condition will get you $95.00 in Best Buy gift cards. A great way to trade up into new equipment.

No I haven't, but thanks for letting me know about that option. That lets me know my prices seem fair. I am sure I like my trades at Weaponsguild better than Best Buy, but if I ever need stuff from there I will check it out.

jimdoc said:
silversaddle1 said:

No I haven't, but thanks for letting me know about that option. That lets me know my prices seem fair. I am sure I like my trades at Weaponsguild better than Best Buy, but if I ever need stuff from there I will check it out.

I buy my wife a new I-Pad about once a year just from trade in credits!

Back