• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

another source for supplies

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4metals

Staff member
Supporting Member
I was looking for Gooche crucibles for assaying and came across Carolina Biological Supply. They have decent pricing, better than the big name supply houses. They also have a decent selection of chemicals like DMG and peHanon pH papers and a few others. (Don't get too excited nitric is still over the top expensive) Their pricing looks pretty good and I was able to acquire all a client needed to do gravimetric palladium assays from one place and reasonably priced. Some of the chemicals, like DMG and Sodium chlorate only ship to schools or businesses.

https://www.carolina.com/chemistry/10148.ct?question=312764&searchExecByFormSubmit=true&tab=p

Worth a look

Sodium Chlorate is available from Duda Diesel and DMG is available at reasonable cost on Fleabay.

Duda diesel also has nitric acid. Not sure how the price compares though. Interested in opinions about pricing.

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=nitric

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

They're actually a few $ cheaper than Duda diesel for 10 liters. But I don't know if that is the shipped price because from Duda it includes shipping. Crazy to pay so much for nitric when it is about $6 a gallon in 55 gallon drums.

Not that I am saying to run out and buy from these guys, I am merely saying this may be an option to some.

4metals said:
They're actually a few $ cheaper than Duda diesel for 10 liters. But I don't know if that is the shipped price because from Duda it includes shipping. Crazy to pay so much for nitric when it is about $6 a gallon in 55 gallon drums.

Not that I am saying to run out and buy from these guys, I am merely saying this may be an option to some.

Recent price on nitric, $9/gallon in 15 gap on keg and 26 per 2.5L from same company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4metals said:
I was looking for Gooche crucibles for assaying and came across Carolina Biological Supply. They have decent pricing, better than the big name supply houses. They also have a decent selection of chemicals like DMG and peHanon pH papers and a few others. (Don't get too excited nitric is still over the top expensive) Their pricing looks pretty good and I was able to acquire all a client needed to do gravimetric palladium assays from one place and reasonably priced. Some of the chemicals, like DMG and Sodium chlorate only ship to schools or businesses.

https://www.carolina.com/chemistry/10148.ct?question=312764&searchExecByFormSubmit=true&tab=p

Worth a look
I don't think I've used a Gooch crucible in 50 years. What do they pack them with nowadays in place of asbestos?

4metals said:
Recent price on nitric, $9/gallon in 15 gap on keg and 26 per 2.5L from same company.

Is this a duda diesel price? The 15 gallon stainless drums carry a stiff deposit as well.

No, local supplier. I think the stainless drum is a $400 deposit?

I don't think I've used a Gooch crucible in 50 years. What do they pack them with nowadays in place of asbestos?

Glass fiber filter circles, the hardest part is figuring out what diameter filters fit right. The 30 ml gooches take a 2 cm filter. Using them to separate the palladium dropped with DMG out of parting solutions for dental bars. So they are only heated to dry not to anneal. Asbestos was great stuff, replacing it effectively can be difficult at times.

I think the stainless drum is a $400 deposit?

Be careful you don't keep the drum too long, lately suppliers have been refusing to take drums back after 6 months. I used to be able to get nitric in 5 gallon glass bottles. I saved a bunch of them and have since given them away to refiners who don't use too much nitric. They empty the 15 gallon carboy with the heavy deposit into the glass bottles and get the carboy back to the supplier.

Anybody know where to get nitric in those 5 gallon glass bottles with the styrofoam clamshell case?

Back