• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

gold plate and filled top watchbands

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irv

I have roughly 1,000 lbs of gold filled tops and gold plated tops watch bands on stainless steel, the kind that stretch,any suggestions as to a fair place to sell them?

To get a good price and know exactly what you have you need to strip them down, remove the stainless, it's a pain to do manually especially in the quantity your talking, you can dissolve the stainless with hydrochloric if you have a decent hood but there's no quick method I can think to remove all the stainless. Hopefully other members can give you some further ideas to help to solve this one or you can find someone you can trust to do the refining/ recovery for you.

At that rate they are offering you a price that equates to 1/2 gram of gold per pound of scrap. My advice is to strip one pound of the scrap of the stainless steel and do a melt and have it assayed that should give you a closer idea as to the real value.

Depends on the gold plate. Depends on how much gold fill, wear levels, etc. I'd gladly do $30/lb.

There's no effective way to sample this without just running it. It's not something that can be economically run in a furnace if it has a bunch of stainless. If it's all copper or brass based, then I'd melt, sample and piggyback it with SPC wire to Xstrata and let them electro-win it. But that takes poundage.

Ideal way to do mixed lot: strip it with cyanide, rinse, what doesn't strip gets pulled out and melted. Dissolving that much copper makes a bunch of nitrogen oxides...

hot sulfuric will attack the stainless vigorously without effecting the gold. (warning : hot sulfuric acid will cause severe chemical burns to exposed skin and cause blindness on contact with eyes.)

Back