• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

looking for zinc ingot or turning

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericrm

looking for cheap zinc
can be in ingot or turning, can have oil or dirt ,but i want it to be "just zinc" not an alloy.
thank you

ericrm said:
looking for cheap zinc
can be in ingot or turning, can have oil or dirt ,but i want it to be "just zinc" not an alloy.
thank you

ericrm I have 14 lbs, zinc ingot, removed email address.

100_7061.jpg

im still looking for some zinc ... el cheapo ... scrap yard give around 25cent for zinc... i will pay shipping + max 1$ lb could be plated zinc/turning or whatever is 95% or more zinc ... i will remelt it anyway just make sure it is zinc and not some weird unknow white alloy.

alex ,i doubtfull that i can do anything with it since it was probably used with cyanide a some point. what does it look like ?

I have big zinc slabs that are 99,5%+ Zn that we used to use before switching to Venmet. Each piece is about 25 lbs broken up, or 200 lbs whole.

I'll have to see if we have any smaller pieces left, if not it would be a bother to ship to Canada.

I'm not a huge fan of zinc, but I used to go through it for cementation plant.

As I clean up my kids room, I usually find lots of broken toys that are made of zinc. Guess where the end up :lol:
Just look for them, you can get them for almost free. Chineese love to make toys with zinc parts.

that not a problem Lou ,if you dont find anything i will start to look in used store to find plated zinc stuff... i dont need much ,i want to try my stock pot on zinc rather than steel and aluminium.

thanks marcel i will look for that too

ericrm said:
alex ,i doubtfull that i can do anything with it since it was probably used with cyanide a some point. what does it look like ?

Powder is brown when the clumps are freshly broken.
the powder turns green after a while due to oxidation I guess.
The plating process used is unknown, nor the method to recover this powder.
It comes in sealed metal drums with a thick plastic bag within.

Lou, maybe you might have any interest into this material, let me know...

Eric - look at my post in the Chemicals section - then go to the "looking for Canadian Nitric acid supplier thread

I posted there about cheap (scrap) sources of zinc with picture & how to test to be sure its zinc & not aluminum

The electrical conduit/wire connectors in the pic are used to connect conduit & romex/UF wire to junction boxes & braker/control panel boxes

Kurt

ericrm said:
kurt is the nitric acid test pretty much definitive? does it also separate from magnesium?

Eric - sorry for the delay in responding - I am not sure about nitric & magnesium

The conduit conectors I pictured in the other thread are most always pure zinc (there are some made of iron but you don't find them often) sometime the tightning nut will be iron with a zinc conduit reciever body (so use your magnate) most the time even the nut is zinc - inside the nut (on all of them) is a steal split ring crip spring that needs to be removed (comes right out)

I have a barrel full of these connectors & have used about a third of it to cement PGMs from CAT leaching without any problem what so ever

Kurt

To differ between zinc and magnesium use weight. Zinc is more than four times as heavy as magnesium. Magnesium is even lighter than aluminum and just as zinc it reacts violently with nitric acid.

Half a year ago I asked if I could use magnesium instead of zinc when cementing PGM from solution and all answers I got said it was okay but to take it easy as magnesium is much more reactive than zinc.

I bought a zinc anode from a boat shop and used a milling machine creating my own zinc turnings. I haven't tested using magnesium to cement values.

Göran

Back