• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLVED - I Need An 18" Inside Length Casserole Dish

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello members,

I'm in need of a casserole dish that is 18" on the inside. I've checked numerous websites and I've called around to some pottery sources here in Nashville, and no one has one that long, as some of them said they never even seen one that long.

If I can't find one, I'm going to have to try to find a pottery place here that allows people to come in and make their own pottery.

I did, however find two of them online (eBay) and they wanted somewhere around $175 for one of them and $250 for the other one. I believe I can get one for a fraction of that, even if I have to make it myself.

If you do pottery, how much would you charge me to do one that is 18" long, about 6-7" wide, and approximately 2-1/2" high?

Any help appreciated

Kevin

etack said:
Whats it for? so we can source other ideas too.

Eric
I need it to put Nitric Acid in so I can place whole keyboard mylars in. Right now, I'm having to cut mylars down into pieces, which is making processing them longer.

philddreamer said:
Kev, have you tried the second hand stores yet? That's where I found mine.
Phil
Not yet, but I did find one that is reasonably priced a few minutes ago, but I'm not sure if Melamine can hold up to Nitric Acid. I looked it up on Wikipedia, but I'm still not sure what it is. Is it a type of plastic?

Kevin

Get your self a stainless chafing dish pan https://www.google.ca/search?q=stainless+steel+chafing+dish&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=xC8cUeSgEsnf0QHS6oCoDQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1536&bih=762#hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=stainless+steel+chafing+dish+pans&oq=stainless+steel+chafing+dish+pans&gs_l=img.3...47810.49155.0.49512.5.5.0.0.0.0.287.596.0j2j1.3.0...0.0...1c.1.3.img.bahGKKUDvbk&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42452523,d.dmQ&fp=85b5d848cd588fc6&biw=1536&bih=762

I use them all the time . They hold up well. Same main 40 qt pan for almost 3 years.

This is what I found,
mel·a·mine[ méllə mn ]
http://www.bing.com/Dictionary/search?q=define+melamine&qpvt=what%27s+Melamine&FORM=DTPDIA

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-melamine.htm#

If your using only nitric acid, stainless (300 series) is your friend. I have everything from stainless pots to spoons to strainers. It's the cats meow for nitric.

I'm sure this may make the difference, but I use Peroxide with the Nitric. The acid/water or acid/peroxide won't eat through stainless steel?

As far as the series of the stainless steel, I'm not educated on that yet. I guess I'll learn that too real soon.

But, if stainless steel will work for me (300 series), I can find those pans from the link glondor posted in some thrift stores, or even buy them new, if I had to.

I just need to speed up my processing time. I'll be updating my thread on Processing Keyboard Mylars.

Philddreamer, thanks for the link. I was correct in what I thought. It is a plastic. I wish Wikipedia spelled it out simply like that. Oh Well. Now I know.

Darn Palladium, I've been seeing those stainless steel pans alot in the goodWill, but never bought any. I bet when I go look for them, they won't even have any more.

Thanks for all the input.

Kevin

what you need is a steam table pan. like this one. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-super-pan-v-30012-full-size-stainless-steel-anti-jam-steam-table-hotel-pan-1-1-4-deep/92230012.html

they have different sizes and you can even get a lid.

Eric

Wow. That's what I use for my dogs food bowl. Easy to clean and the only thing he can't destroy in an afternoon..

The one I have is the base pan though. It's closer to 6 inches deep. I think I have one more in storage that's been retired. I was actually thinking of sending it out as scrap stainless. Thanks for the heads up!!

etack said:
what you need is a steam table pan. like this one. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-super-pan-v-30012-full-size-stainless-steel-anti-jam-steam-table-hotel-pan-1-1-4-deep/92230012.html

they have different sizes and you can even get a lid.

Eric
Now that would work for what I'm doing, as I don't want it too deep, just enough to place maybe 1 lb of mylars in, 1 at a time. A lid would be helpful too.

I like the price. Thanks for the info.

With one of those pans, I can process 5 lbs of mylars, plus start the dropping of the silver in just one day (especially if the weather gets warmer). I have some mylars from a few members I'm working on, but the weather has not let me have a few good days in a row to even complete the jobs... outside.

Shoot, I could do all of mine in less than a weeks time, but I would need a deeper pan.

I'm glad to know that the stainless steel (300 series) can withstand Nitric Acid.

I love you guys. You keep on teaching me things I never knew.

Kevin

Back