• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

rookie needs direction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrown0078

Hi all, I'm Don. I have been reading so much and watching video's that i'm getting confused about the e-scrap processing and my chemicals haven't made the right colors everyone say they will....here's the process's I've been using. I separated all my board parts ones that contained the most gold foil and pins and put them in 32% HCI 2 parts acid 1 part hydrogen peroxide let it set for 4 days stirring occasionally then I strained it, kept the leftovers they still had gold on them...the strained solution has a bluish green color I added water to triple volume I'm letting it sit for now because i'm sure there is gold in it.. anyway i started the process over with what was left still had gold on pins and the leftover grit greyish black form filter couple days later I added a lil bleach several times maybe a third of the volume, taking about 20mins or so to let gold dissolve and it did but not compeletly. This liquid turned an even darker golden green like I said the colors aren't what I was expecting so i filtered it again this time I have a grayish black sand looking stuff with a lot of gold flakes in it and green solder scum on top after several straining with water several times this grit and gold I've dried out and is still in the filter the remainder of solution I'm trying to precipitate with sodium metadisulfite even though it's color is off....think i need a do over on the solutions I have standing how to go backward?? I also tried another different process for the chips and other board components with a little blast furnace w/o the battery fyi lol didn't have any smell to it not that I tried to either did it outside as with everything I've done i crushed all that material and started the acid peroxide process on it but then found out that was wrong too like i said...need a do over w/o having to get bits and pieces of the process from sources all over the web and you tube too many blanks a chronological process starting from beginning from burnt crushed boards all the way through including different processes in order as I'd like to capture as much of all the metals possible something to the effect do this process first then what's left do this to it and so on....a quick patch to fix my mistakes so i don't have to let these chemicals evaporate would be nice if possible. I'm thinking some of you will be mad for having to re-write stuff over for that I'm sorry but I need someone to talk directly since I'm not a chemist and on a shoestring budget.
Thanks all, Don

oh yea when i put the sodium metadisulfite in the dark greenish gold it turned goldish black color forgot that part
Thanks again!

Everything will be good since you have found this forum. Since many of the experts probably still are sleeping and you maybe are waiting for informations, here is a first hint, where to start: http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=796

and I would not continue the experiments before the experts have given you their advices! Welcome, Don!

Don this is simple. Use the search box, here on the forum, and search Refining Precious Metal Wastes, by C.M. Hoke. Download and read that book in it's entirety. This is one of the most important expectations of this forum. Do the familiarization exercises she instructs. Read the book first, completely, before asking for help or guidance. Be sure to read the MSDS sheet for every chemical before working with it.

Steven

Good man. Keep in mind that though she doesn't speak of refining computer scrap, the theory and principles are still the same. Instead of a ring with various metals, you may be working with a motherboard with various metals.

Am I reading right,
First you mixed different types of items in ap
then you added water to ap
then you added bleach to ap
then you started again with chips
then you wrote all this out in one 389 word sentence.
I am really confused on what you are doing and asking?

dbrown0078,
It is good you have begun your study, as you found out things are not as easy as it sounds, even after you learn you will be faced with many challenges, the more you learn the better you will be at handling those challenges, it will take some time to get an understanding, as you have a lot of information to filter through, believe it or not by studying you are actually getting closer to your goal of melting that pure gold, than you would by trying to dissolve a bunch of scrap in acids, the study will put you ahead of the ball game, also this gives you time to collect and pile up your scrap material, much of it will need to be mechanically prepared as you learn how you can also do that.

Refining is something that takes a lot of patience in almost everything we do from learning, collecting, and recovery and refining, it all takes time, so in a way it is best just to accept it and go with the flow, not worrying about getting a gold button right now, but knowing if we keep up, working patiently towards our goal we will get there in due time, the process of gold is a slow thing, no need to rush it, it would not do any good if we did.

You are on the right track now, take your time, enjoy learning, believe it or not, the true treasure is what you will learn in the gold mine of information here available to you, enjoy exploring that gold mine, and I am sure you will come out with some large nuggets

Back