• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I Need Someone With A Plotter To Scan Keyboard Mylars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hello members,

I'm in need of having keyboard mylars scanned with a plotter (both side) with the size in inches and (or) centimeters.

I don't have all the different types ready, but I do have enough to get the job started.

We can either work out a pay rate or 50% of the sales of the information to be sold. Payment arrangements can be setup to your PayPal account if needed.

I'm open for suggestions. I can scan them myself, but the time it takes to scan part of one side, then the rest of it, then the other side, the the other part of that is too time consuming.

If anyone is interested, you can pm me. I'll make it worth your while, because I'm compiling the only information I know of on the Internet about keyboard mylars, and which mylars will yield the most silver and also how many mylars of that particular mylar will equal 1 lb.

I need scans of sets (some mylars have 2 mylars) and I need the scans of individual mylars.

I see it as a lot of work though. If someone has the time, there is no rush. I'll send the mylars, I'll pay for the shipping to you, and you email me the scanned images.

This should be enough info to give you an idea of what I'm doing.

Kevin

jimdoc said:
Wouldn't decent pictures with a ruler or something to scale them work just as good?

Jim
Yes.. Like I mentioned in my original post, it's time consuming. Plus I need both sides scanned.

I already have some scanned with ruler to show the scale, but it takes 2 scans for just one side, which would mean it would take 4 scans to do 1 mylar...... not to mention that I would have to merge both images from each side together to make it a full mylar.

[Update]
I can show a full scan of what I'm talking about.

Kevin

Maybe i'm missing something here but i have the same theory as Jim. Why not just take a picture beside a ruler? Sounds like your making it more complicated than it has to be. I do that sometimes to. :mrgreen:

You could shoot those mylars using any decent digital camera, use a white box to eliminate background.

Feed it through a fax machine, save the image as a tiff file.

Staples could scan those Mylars.

We have a large copier at work that can scan them into pdf files. What it the largest size mylar? The scan can be set up to create pdf files which of course canbe converted into 36x48 architectural sized images and drawings. We also have color plotters but I don't think this is what you need. In fact, you could probably take them to your nearest Kinkos and have them do it.

:oops: :oops:
Alright, you all seem to be in agreement here. I'm beat.

I wanted to get closeup scanned images to show details of the mylars, but I'll take the mylars I have and give it a go.

Don't be laughing at my images when you know they're coming from an Android phone :mrgreen: . I just wanted them to look so good when you zoom in you can see the details.

I'll go ahead and do the camera along with the ruler.

Please, by all means, when I do some and upload them for references while I'm compiling the info, let me know if something isn't clear or (lookable ???). I am doing this for all of us. That darned Smauel-a's slideshow got me hooked on the mylars.

Quote from comedian Rickey Smiley (doing Prank Phone Calls) "To you Sameual-a"
If I was able, I'd come over there and do something to you
LOL

I already have some pictures, but I didn't like them. Then I scanned some mylars and they came out perfect, except it's too time consuming.

Ok... you all win, I'll take pictures and I'll upload them to show you all.

Kevin

kane333 said:
We have a large copier at work that can scan them into pdf files. What it the largest size mylar? The scan can be set up to create pdf files which of course canbe converted into 36x48 architectural sized images and drawings. We also have color plotters but I don't think this is what you need. In fact, you could probably take them to your nearest Kinkos and have them do it.
Unless someone can say differently from their own experience with mylars, the largest keyboard mylars I've come across (often) are approximately 17 inches up to 18" long. I'm not talking exotic keyboards, just regular keyboards. Normal keyboards are around 13 inches long, on average.

Kinko's?.... for what I have?.... I'll pass because they are overpriced.

Kevin

I understand what you are saying, but the reason i recommend pictures was for the educational aspect. If your trying to teach an unknown to a person you want the subject matter to be the best representation possible for that task. Their is nothing more powerful than an actual 3 dimensional picture of the object your trying to familiarize them with. True a scanned copy is an actual representation of your object, but it's all about how the mind perceives, stores, and processes information that leads to object recognition and learning. I could show you a picture of the white house and you would recognize it, but if i showed you the blue prints which are an exact copy you would never know it.

Palladium said:
I understand what you are saying, but the reason i recommend pictures was for the educational aspect. If your trying to teach an unknown to a person you want the subject matter to be the best representation possible for that task. Their is nothing more powerful than an actual 3 dimensional picture of the object your trying to familiarize them with. True a scanned copy is an actual representation of your object, but it's all about how the mind perceives, stores, and processes information that leads to object recognition and learning. I could show you a picture of the white house and you would recognize it, but if i showed you the blue prints which are an exact copy you would never know it.
Palladium, you have, and I know you'll always be not only an inspiration to me, but a think tank. I have taken so much of your knowledge and applied it and have always felt so special deep down inside when you would chime in on problems I had/have and give logical solutions.... that make so much sense.

I do plan on putting this information here on this forum. It taught me, so I MUST teach others. It's only fair.

Palladium... I really do appreciate you, respect you, admire you and most of all, consider your words of your wisdom (as I do for all members on this forum).

One thing I learned here, and it still holds true...... We're all family here.

Palladium, I was once a G.E.D. instructor. At least some people did get their GED through my instructions.

Thanks for the insight.

Kevin

Were it not for others sharing that knowledge with me in the past i could not pass that knowledge forward. You are mighty welcome sir.

can't you put them through a top or manual load desktop scanner/printer ?

you can scan them right onto your computer. into which ever format you need. no need to pay anyone.

?? don't have a manual load scanner/printer ?? there 50 dollars more or less just make sure your mylars are clean before scanning

edit: i have scanned and reprinted 6 foot long birthday banners

necromancer said:
can't you put them through a top or manual load desktop scanner/printer ?

you can scan them right onto your computer. into which ever format you need. no need to pay anyone.

?? don't have a manual load scanner/printer ?? there 50 dollars more or less just make sure your mylars are clean before scanning

edit: i have scanned and reprinted 6 foot long birthday banners
There you go... making me think things out again. :shock: I have two scanners, but one of them all of a sudden stopped working (no power at all), yet the other one doesn't have a feed to scan. I'd love to have one of those.

The scanner that went out on me was 2 years old, but didn't go through 2 reams of paper, and plus I had the 1 year factory warranty on it & I paid for the extended 1 year warranty on it... and the @%^%$^ stopped working AFTER the 2nd year warranty ran out.

I think it's a fuse inside. It has to be. I haven't printed much at all with it. And then they only have 2 screws you can see (where the power cord is) and there is no other visible sign of where to open it up. If I had more than just my paid one, I'd find more than one way to open them up, then learn after breaking down at least 2 - 4 of them. :evil:

I thank ALL of you for your insights and suggestions.

I bought a new refillable ink cartridge set, plus the ink, and now this %#%^^# doesn't want to even power on.

I'm cool now with venting out some frustration. Sorry all :oops:

Kevin

funny, did you ask people you know personally ?? to scan for you or get your children bring it to school........

Dont get me wrong, but is there really a sense in making such a statistic?
Keyboards come in thousands of shape and forms. Moreover the age of the keyboard is fading....
I think a rough estimate on yields based on types of keyboards (mobile phone, full size, notebook, etc) should be sufficient.
I think Steve one once stated 0,5g/ full size keyboard. So wheter it is 0,3g or 0,6g , that wont be such a big deal.

The difference between .03 and .06 is 50%. For 1 mylar that might not make much of a difference, but for 100's of mylars that is a big difference. Wither refining, buying, or selling the one thing this industry is based on is numbers. Actuate numbers at that! When it comes to precious metals their should be as little error as possible when calculating.

Of course you are right in that sense. I was just thinking of "the old times" where we did import keyboards from Taiwan and sold them here in Europe in the 1990s in my company. Each shipment was different. Very seldomly you could get exactly the same type twice in 3 months. Technology evolved and the products were improoved, to be produced cheaper or to meet new standards. So I somehow doubt that - apart from some very big brands - it is possible to trace back all those lots and their respective yields.
If you do such a work, my tip would be to stick with the big PC brands such as Dell, IBM or keyboard brands like Cherry, Logitech etc. All those no-name products from china etc. will be difficult to handle.
That is my point, not the project in general.

Check to see if any print shop/ ups shop has a copier that can email the image to you. Our Ricoh copiers at work can do this and email it to me as a PDF. Then I just convert it to any image file I need.

Back