• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need Toll Refiner for Gold Filled

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalkiel2

I have about 2lb of gf jewelry & a bag full of ss/gf watch bands I'd like to get toll refined.

Also, I purchased some scraps from a closed jewelry store. A few of the boxes were marked "Gold Filled." I already sorted all the marked gf stuff, but there's a lot of other chain bits, pins from the backs of brooches, clasps, and that sort of thing. Probably 1lb or so of stuff. It may be great. It may be junk. I did find a few dwt of 14k clasps in this mess, so there could be a little karat in there too. I'd like to get this stuff processed also, just in case.

PM me your best deal.

I have about 2lb of gf jewelry & a bag full of ss/gf watch bands I'd like to get toll refined.

Also, I purchased some scraps from a closed jewelry store. A few of the boxes were marked "Gold Filled." I already sorted all the marked gf stuff, but there's a lot of other chain bits, pins from the backs of brooches, clasps, and that sort of thing. Probably 1lb or so of stuff. It may be great. It may be junk. I did find a few dwt of 14k clasps in this mess, so there could be a little karat in there too. I'd like to get this stuff processed also, just in case.

PM me your best deal.
Hello. Have you found a toll refiner?

thanks for the reply .
i figured as much, but what is the range of percentages ? is it worth doing if you can for an extra part time side hustle? or do you just break even with chemicals and time ?

I "toll" some things, but prefer to buy outright. The melt shop pays 80% of Au and 0% on Ag for Gold Filled. When I paid attention, it was selling on Ebay for 100-200% of value.

Not worth it unless you have really cheap chemicals.

so basically what is the going rate for toll refining, or is it a percentage ?

That depends a LOT on what you are having toll refined --- in other words there is no "set" rate/percentage that applies to "all things" refinable

Things it depends on ---------

1) amount of material being refined

2) type/grade of material being refined

3) whether costumer/client (you are refining for) wants metal back - or paid cash - &/or how much you get paid for your metal

4) & to some degree cost of chems &/or how well you are set up (if you are the one planning to toll refine for others)

Examples -----------

1) amount of material being refined; --- NO refiner can refine one gram of gold for A costumer --- the cost in time alone to do the refining would cost more then the value of the gram of gold - therefore the refiner has to have a minimum batch size - which is going to depend on type/grade of material - or - buy the material out right so he (the refiner) can add it to a larger refining batch

2) type/grade of material being refined; --- it is much easier & more straight forward to refine something like karat scrap, gold filled, fingers etc. then say something like IC chips or MLCCs --- so not only does batch size factor in - but type/grade of material also factors in

3) whether the costumer/client (you are refining for) wants metal back - or paid cash - &/or how much you get for metal you keep; --- if you have buyers for your metal that will buy for more then spot (like jewelers or bullion stackers) then you can treat your customer/ client better on what you pay them out (in cash) --- if your buyers pay you less then spot then you can't treat your customer as well --- also - whether you pay your customer/client cash or return metal makes a difference - I don't have time to explain why in this post - but if you return metal you can not treat your customer/client as well as paying cash (depending on where/how you sell your metals)

4) & to some degree cost of chems &/or how well you are set up (if you are the one planning to toll refine for others) --- the cost of your chems factors in - example - if you buy nitric by the liter & have to pay $60 - $80 per liter compared to if you buy in bulk & only pay $2 - $3 per liter - makes a big difference in your refining cost - which in turn you need to factor in to what you have to charge your customer/client --- as well - are you set up to do batches in sizes large enough to be profitable AND do so in a timely manner that makes your customer/client happy as a return customer/client

Kurt

Back