• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

printed circuit board refining in canada?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBentre

Looking for a reputable company in canada to process circuit boards. If you know one that is good and can provide details regarding minimum lot sizes, typical yields and payment options please feel free to post your suggestions or pm me with details. Thanks

I did a lot of research myself, and if I'm wrong someone correct me.

I found that the best you will get is EDI in orillia, who buys boards. The actual refineries that deal with the materials seem to be in the states such as sipi metals, I can't remember the others right now.

I am currently saving up a good load to send to EDI, as that is the best option I have found when you consider the permits needed to transport large amounts of e-waste out of country, and whatever fees accompanying them.

Cheers! -Ian

EDI is not a refiner or smelter, there a buyer just like boardsort + i have heard EDI sends their boards overseas which is not good for canada (less jobs & less money) for us all

the company i work for sends to Xstrata in quebec, (copper smelter) they used to use sipi but switched because Xstrata is in canada.

i am in no way affiliated with any of the above mentioned companies, i am not promoting them, simply answering a question to keep canada in the cash flow

if any info here is not correct please comment.

necromancer said:
EDI is not a refiner or smelter, there a buyer just like boardsort + i have heard EDI sends their boards overseas which is not good for canada (less jobs & less money) for us all

the company i work for sends to Xstrata in quebec, (copper smelter) they used to use sipi but switched because Xstrata is in canada.

i am in no way affiliated with any of the above mentioned companies, i am not promoting them, simply answering a question to keep canada in the cash flow

if any info here is not correct please comment.

ahh, thanks for correcting me, i had not heard of them yet, something to consider. well, now he has 2 options, the more the better in my eyes.

EDI may be more benificial to me as i live in british columbia, and shipping is already going to cost a lot. i know quebec isnt too much further away, but it adds up.

also, does xstrata have a minimum amount, decent pay out rates/times, and more importantly, are the honest? now you have me curious, haha.

- Ian

Thanks for the suggestions, its always good to have several options in this industry. It's also a great feeling to see other people who have absolutely nothing to gain giving advice to help someone out. It says a lot about character and I am grateful. Hopefully i'll be able to make something happen and return the favors in due time.

The minimum amount to have electronic material processed at xstrata would be 15 metric tons of high grade material (p4 boards and higher grade).
This is in order to open an account with them and get the ball rolling.
For mixed material containing lower grade boards such as cdrom & modems the minimal quantity would be more like 20 metric tons.
*** Crt/Tv boards and smelter boards not to be mixed with this kind of material to increase tonnage. They need to be shipped and processed aside.

Once a first shipment is sent for processing, I believe one could send smaller loads (still over 10 metric tons I think).

I am not working with them but was recently in touch to have a lot refined but the payment terms are a bit too long for me (120 days after lot is received at their facility).

Indeed, xstrata is no longer a canadian owned company... once Noranda, than Falconbridge and finally exstrata... sad...

alexxx said:
The minimum amount to have electronic material processed at xstrata would be 15 metric tons of high grade material (p4 boards and higher grade).
This is in order to open an account with them and get the ball rolling.
For mixed material containing lower grade boards such as cdrom & modems the minimal quantity would be more like 20 metric tons.
*** Crt/Tv boards and smelter boards not to be mixed with this kind of material to increase tonnage. They need to be shipped and processed aside.

Once a first shipment is sent for processing, I believe one could send smaller loads (still over 10 metric tons I think).

I am not working with them but was recently in touch to have a lot refined but the payment terms are a bit too long for me (120 days after lot is received at their facility).

Indeed, xstrata is no longer a canadian owned company... once Noranda, than Falconbridge and finally exstrata... sad...

33069lb 5.4720oz is a bit much for the first load but at least now we have some data to play with and we can set our eyes on bigger goals. I'm sure there are other guys out there that are willing to do smaller loads, i'm actually in contact with one that should be getting back to me soon with some info. It does seem odd they switched hands a few times and the 120 day thing is discouraging to say the least. Thanks Alexxx

ericrm said:
Alex do you know what kind of processing fee they charge?

What was discussed for the lot I wanted to process was the following;

95% of the final Ag content paid at 99% of LBMA
96% of the final Au content paid at 99% of LBMA (minimum 5 gr commission per metric ton)
92% of the final Pd content paid at 99% of LPPM minus 3 USD / troz (minimum 15 gr commission per metric ton)
They keep 3 units of copper per metric ton, i.e. 30 lbs per mt

+ all the charges for shredding (I don't remember but it was not something you want them to do, I was planning doing my own shredding),
penalties for excess steel, not sure about the excess nickel penalties
+ your transport
as an interesting side note, no penalties for beryllium (If my memory serves me right, Aurubis & Umicore would only tolerate 0.04% of beryllium and would charge a penalty of 5 USD per 0.001% above limit)
assay charge on top was 750$

of course your lot could also be refused at the facility if it contains batteries, excess aluminium or too much steel / plastic or if the packaging is not how they want it...

We discussed briefly about the minimal quality of the material and I believe you can get huge penalties if your material assays lower than expected, <100 ppm
one should avoid off specs / low grade material if planning to go with them

Alex

Back