• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clean Cast Lead Bars

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My scrap dealer has lead ..Its kind of high at a buck a pound but always available. If that helps.

Todd

Barren Realms 007 said:
How many lbs are you looking for Steve?

10 to 20 pounds should get me started. I'll want more as time goes on.

The bars must be clean and bright, with minimal impurities.

Steve

goldsilverpro said:
Most "sheet lead" (a scrap category) is 99+% pure. I would call around to scrap metal dealers.

Thanks Chris, I'll talk to the guys at the local yard while I'm there.

By the way, it's great to see you back on the forum, I for one always miss the 'old timers' when they are away!

Steve

lazersteve said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
How many lbs are you looking for Steve?

10 to 20 pounds should get me started. I'll want more as time goes on.

The bars must be clean and bright, with minimal impurities.

Steve

Ok, I have that covered with no problem and the lead was from sheet lead that I had left over from doing some roof drains. I'll pick some up Thursday from the shop and get you some pictures.

lazersteve said:
goldsilverpro said:
Most "sheet lead" (a scrap category) is 99+% pure. I would call around to scrap metal dealers.

When I built the castle, I used lead flashing for the roof. I took what the supplier had on hand, including some that contained several percentage points of antimony, so be mindful that it's not all just lead. They appeared similar to one another, but didn't respond equally to being washed with HCl (cleaning the brick).

Harold

Harold_V said:
lazersteve said:
goldsilverpro said:

When I built the castle, I used lead flashing for the roof. I took what the supplier had on hand, including some that contained several percentage points of antimony, so be mindful that it's not all just lead. They appeared similar to one another, but didn't respond equally to being washed with HCl (cleaning the brick).

Harold

That is interesting. It's the 1st time I have herd of antimony being used in roof flashing lead.

Thanks Harold

Barren Realms 007 said:
That is interesting. It's the 1st time I have herd of antimony being used in roof flashing lead.
It's entirely possible it wasn't intended for use as flashing. It didn't come from a roofing supply company, but from one of the metal supply houses I used when I was machining. And, it was a decision I regretted, as it cracked after being exposed to HCl. Luckily, only a small portion contained antimony. They didn't have enough of the pure lead to fill my needs. Lesson learned! :oops:

Harold

Back