• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

I need this vacum filtration setup

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseonbase

Anyone know where I can buy this exact setup with all the parts and filters with the hand pump? I found a source on eBay, but I refuse to buy from China again. All I can usually find is the buchner funnel with the rubber stopper. I just like the option with the bottom open jar. Im looking for a website or Amazon.com that gives me different options in size for the bottom flask. I really wish I knew the name for this thing. I think it's the exact setup lazersteve uses in his silver video.

Attachments

• $T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgIOoBQ8TUVIN(w~~60_12.jpeg
    $T2eC16hHJHYE9nzpgIOoBQ8TUVIN(w~~60_12.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 232
I think the name is " Fritted Filter" assembly.
Give this place a try.
https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=28144-622
https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=28144-608

They are expensive, but looks like they have what you are looking for.
Around the end of last year they opened a new location here in California and they are a US corpoation.

Corporate Headquarters Map
VWR International
Radnor Corporate Center
Building One, Suite 200
100 Matsonford Road, P.O. Box 6660
Radnor, PA 19087
(610) 386-1700

I'll trust that you know what you need, but if you just want a good vacuum filtration system, you can get it a lot cheaper than a rig like that.

Fritted glass discs cost a fortune, and really suck to clean. For half the price of what you show in that picture, you can buy a 70-90mm Buchner funnel, a stemmed Erlenmeyer flask, an aspirator vacuum, and a 100-pack of high quality ashless filter paper.

niteliteone said:
I think the name is " Fritted Filter" assembly.
Give this place a try.
https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=28144-622
https://us.vwr.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?catalog_number=28144-608

They are expensive, but looks like they have what you are looking for.
Around the end of last year they opened a new location here in California and they are a US corpoation.

Corporate Headquarters Map
VWR International
Radnor Corporate Center
Building One, Suite 200
100 Matsonford Road, P.O. Box 6660
Radnor, PA 19087
(610) 386-1700

:shock: JEEEEZUS! :shock: You weren't kidding! I'd have to almost take out a bank loan for one of those! Ty a ton for finding those for me ive been looking for weeks! It sounds like I bit off a little more than I could chew. The whole time I was thinking the ones from eBay were expensive @ $70 for the top being 300mil and the Elrenmeyer being 1L. Ya sounds like a good ol porcelain buchner isn't a bad idea after all. :lol:

chlaurite said:
I'll trust that you know what you need, but if you just want a good vacuum filtration system, you can get it a lot cheaper than a rig like that.

Fritted glass discs cost a fortune, and really suck to clean. For half the price of what you show in that picture, you can buy a 70-90mm Buchner funnel, a stemmed Erlenmeyer flask, an aspirator vacuum, and a 100-pack of high quality ashless filter paper.

I appreciate you guys. I'm ordering all my stuff to run my first sterling batch. I really appreciate that link. That's probably the cheapest setup I've seen for that price. Fixing to place an order! Also any recommendations on a heat source I can use other than a $200 dollar hot plate and my wife's kitchen stove? im seriously considering a colemans camping stove to setup in my shed.

I found this one. It is too small, but is it the kind you are searching? Cost about 28 $ at 50ml

http://www.frederiksen.eu/da/produkter/dk_lab.udstyr_23/glas-og-porcelaen/vnr/017820/

edit: probably not..I found this one without price, looks similar to your setup, maybe it helps to find more offers: http://www.google.de/imgres?um=1&hl...w=132&start=0&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:83

edit 2:found price in europe:
http://www.google.de/imgres?um=1&hl...=73&start=0&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:42,s:0,i:211

chaseonbase said:
Also any recommendations on a heat source I can use other than a $200 dollar hot plate and my wife's kitchen stove? im seriously considering a colemans camping stove to setup in my shed.

Buy a $20 standalone electric burner (the solid ceramic kind, not the black-coil kind) with continuous temperature adjustment (so a dial rather than just "low/med/high" buttons) and use a plain ol' thermometer to ID when you've reached your target temperature. Use a double-boiler on it for anything you plan to keep below 100C, and just use a shallow pan with a sand-bath if you need to go higher.

chlaurite said:
Use a double-boiler on it for anything you plan to keep below 100C, and just use a shallow pan with a sand-bath if you need to go higher.

A silly question about the sand bath. I don't have any sand but I do have a box of aluminum oxide (used for sandblasting) would that work?

Rusty

rewalston said:
A silly question about the sand bath. I don't have any sand but I do have a box of aluminum oxide (used for sandblasting) would that work?
Yes, it would - But you may want to think twice about that one.

As long as it conducts heat reasonably well, won't melt, and has a fine-but-not-powder grain size (50-100 mesh), it should work just fine. You basically just use it to evenly distribute the heat to avoid any hot-spots cracking the glass. I use about an inch at the bottom of the pan.

However - Aluminum oxide reacts somewhat vigorously with HCl (and presumably with HNO3 and H2SO4 as well). So while it may work just fine for the intended purpose, always keep in mind what will happen if your beaker does break - A metal chloride soup contained in a stainless steel pan full of inert sand, not so bad (even recoverable!). A strongly exothermic reaction with the "sand" itself, and you potentially have a hot caustic volcano on your hands. :shock:

Personally, I just walked out to the road in front of my house, scooped up a bucket of sand from the side, sifted out the crap and rinsed out the dust, and it works great. 8)

rewalston said:
chlaurite said:
Use a double-boiler on it for anything you plan to keep below 100C, and just use a shallow pan with a sand-bath if you need to go higher.

Rusty

For my sandbath I bought a 50 lb bag of play ground sand from the hardware store for $5 USD last year. As long as you don't overflow your glassware into the sand it will last forever.

Also if you clean and sterilize your sand before using it is real easy to recover any overflows by rinsing it from the sand.

rewalston said:
I know this is probably obvious, but how do you sterilize the sand? Just boil in water, filter and dry?

Rusty

Though this is not necessary to do before using the sand it is useful "When" you have to recover your values from the sand after a spill. I say "when" because sooner or later the best of us still have a boo boo now and then.

I start with 5 to 10 lbs of new sand and rinse several times with water until the rinse water is clear, then roasting in my bar-b-que for 30 minutes to break down organics. A soak with diluted sulfuric acid and water, 25%\75% respectively, for 12hr\ overnight. Then a few more water rinses and a final roast.

This doesn't meet any kind of sterilization standards health wise, but it does remove anything that would cause problems with our refining processes. (ie. plant material and life forms oxidized metals)

hehehehe, we have this exact thing at work. I convinced my boss it would help with filtering (we normally use disposable filters, but often have to change it multiple times). We use it about once a month on the really hard-to-filter stuff.
A couple things: they are very nice to use. easy setup. cleaning is a bit excessive. expensive. ours cost about $600. they require a vacuum source
http://www.fishersci.com/ecomm/servlet/fsproductdetail_10652_610614__-1_0# (1000ml size)

Back