• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted to buy Black Sands

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

924T

I'm interested in buying unprocessed black sands.

I've seen 2 prices thrown around, $0.10 lb. and $0.25 lb; I'm thinking $0.25 per lb., with me paying the
shipping.

Opinions, commentary, ideas?

Cheers,

Mike

924T said:
I'm interested in buying unprocessed black sands.

I've seen 2 prices thrown around, $0.10 lb. and $0.25 lb; I'm thinking $0.25 per lb., with me paying the
shipping.

Opinions, commentary, ideas?

Cheers,

Mike

Sounds like quite a deal, for you. Good luck on that.

How many tons do you want ???
I will go out in my back yard and start boxing it up as soon as I know how much you want.

PS. Where I live their is NO gold though, just black sands and lots of it.

niteliteone said:
How many tons do you want ???
I will go out in my back yard and start boxing it up as soon as I know how much you want.

PS. Where I live their is NO gold though, just black sands and lots of it.

Are you absolutely sure about that that - no gold bearing black sands from the Fresno California area, your in or very near to the fault zone.

http://goldmaps.com/calif/california_gold_mines_4.htm

I am willing to hook you up for $1.00 per lb, delivered. I do a bit of mining in Oregon, Nevada, and California. I do clean up my sands VERY well, leaving very little, if any, gold or other values. I have been providing it to a local blacksmith who smelts his own iron from time to time.

rusty said:
Are you absolutely sure about that that - no gold bearing black sands from the Fresno California area, your in or very near to the fault zone.

Unfortunately I am quite certain as I have tried.
I have the entire 6 map set for California from Goldmaps.com and the nearest recorded mine\find is over 40 miles away from my house according to their maps.
I live in almost dead center of the San Joaquin Valley and the nearest Fault line is about 45 miles from my front door, around Coalinga CA.
I've dug a few test holes at home, around 20 feet and only found pristine pink shaded sand similar in texture to beach sand from the ocean. Even the iron oxide stops at 3 feet at the hard pan layer. Haven't gone deeper for worries of a cave-in.

niteliteone said:
rusty said:

Unfortunately I am quite certain as I have tried.
I have the entire 6 map set for California from Goldmaps.com and the nearest recorded mine\find is over 40 miles away from my house according to their maps.
I live in almost dead center of the San Joaquin Valley and the nearest Fault line is about 45 miles from my front door, around Coalinga CA.
I've dug a few test holes at home, around 20 feet and only found pristine pink shaded sand similar in texture to beach sand from the ocean. Even the iron oxide stops at 3 feet at the hard pan layer. Haven't gone deeper for worries of a cave-in.

That is unfortunate, i would have thought that the early glaciers would have relocated values from the fault.

Same here, black sand everywhere, not a drop of gold that I can find. I'm 50 miles from the largest gold mine in the state too.

I'm still amazed that anyone would even consider: Digging the black sand, packing it up, transporting it to the post office, spending their time addressing and labeling it and waiting in line to ship it, and do that all for 25 cents a pound plus postage! Not to mention giving away any gold it might contain.

Guys,

Thanks for the spirited commentaries!

As I said, I had seen those prices mentioned in another post, and had no idea if that was a viable
concept, or not---------it appears not to be.

There are no black sands where I'm at, decorative or gold-bearing. If there were, I wouldn't be on the computer
posting, I'd be out getting my own black sands.

But, being always curious, what do you know about the (gold bearing) black sands in Guyana?

From what I've been told, the black sands there are some of the highest yield on the planet.

I hit the State Department and the CDC websites, and it appears that the operational environment
there is challenging in a variety of ways, not to mention that the Guyanan government has a tax of 50%
on any Gold produced.

Cheers,

Mike

924T said:
Guys,

Thanks for the spirited commentaries!

As I said, I had seen those prices mentioned in another post, and had no idea if that was a viable
concept, or not---------it appears not to be.

There are no black sands where I'm at, decorative or gold-bearing. If there were, I wouldn't be on the computer
posting, I'd be out getting my own black sands.

But, being always curious, what do you know about the (gold bearing) black sands in Guyana?

From what I've been told, the black sands there are some of the highest yield on the planet.

I hit the State Department and the CDC websites, and it appears that the operational environment
there is challenging in a variety of ways, not to mention that the Guyanan government has a tax of 50%
on any Gold produced.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,
If you'd just like some black sand to experiment with to see if the work is even worth it, there are several sellers on Ebay offering bags of it for sale. I've seen similar ads on the web or in magazines if you don't like dealing with Ebay.

I would hardly consider this an authoritative source, but the crew from Gold Rush did that one show The Jungle where they looked at the feasibility of mining in Guyana. There is a lot of corruption and outright theft going on in all these countries where the gold is generally found in isolated areas and the number of new miners is just booming. The land they thought they had lined up was sold out from under them, and the land they ultimately could get to mine on wasn't rich enough to justify the venture. Just getting to the claim and getting equipment to it was a major struggle, and the danger from thieves and other miners and even the endemic wildlife is another negative factor. I don't recall them mentioning any 50% tax on gold, but if you say that's the case it means trying to make any profit is all that much harder. That's just my 2 cents.

macfixer01,

Yeah, at this point, I'd just like to be able to figure out and compare the wave table angle settings for milled IC's and black
sands, plus it would have to be a cool experience to watch the (flour?) gold start emerging from the sands.

Do you repair Macs? I've got a G5 quad with either thermal or unknown issues causing the fan to go up to
747 jet plane dB levels-----I would sure like to get that figured out. I repair PC's, but not Macs.

I'm wondering if that Gold Rush show is available for replay on the internet? What you described seeing in that
show about Guyana is consistent with what I've been told (add in illegal diamond prospectors/poachers, who are
heavily armed, and don't want to be arrested, and will shoot to kill).

Cheers,

Mike

924T said:
macfixer01,

Yeah, at this point, I'd just like to be able to figure out and compare the wave table angle settings for milled IC's and black
sands, plus it would have to be a cool experience to watch the (flour?) gold start emerging from the sands.

Do you repair Macs? I've got a G5 quad with either thermal or unknown issues causing the fan to go up to
747 jet plane dB levels-----I would sure like to get that figured out. I repair PC's, but not Macs.

I'm wondering if that Gold Rush show is available for replay on the internet? What you described seeing in that
show about Guyana is consistent with what I've been told (add in illegal diamond prospectors/poachers, who are
heavily armed, and don't want to be arrested, and will shoot to kill).

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,
Well they just replayed Gold Rush - The Jungle on friday night actually, to raise interest for the first episode of their new show Gold Rush - South America. BTW the first episode was the same Hoffman crew from Alaska now trying to see if they could make a go of mining in Peru. They found a great claim that had the minimum $60/ton of gold they needed, but got run off by threats from the locals after the first day. Then they found a second claim (basically traded consultation on improving a local miner's production for permission to prospect on his land for a few days). The road up to the area was so treacherous though, that they even abandoned that idea. The second episode next friday night is supposed to be them checking out the situation in Chile instead. I believe that is where they wind up for the rest of the season from indications so far.

I can't recall the name now but there was another tv show awhile back with two guys from Utah who were already deep in debt that went to Ghana to try gold mining. They had weather and equipment problems, worked an over-promised and under-producing claim that belonged to someone else for awhile, then broke off relations with them since they weren't finding gold. Things went downhill from there on. There was a confrontation with the machete-wielding relative of someone who sold them another claim, someone shot into their camp one night, they had issues with a group of Chinese miners after they took a shortcut across their land one day. They were constantly trying to find better claims and trying to run shady deals to pick up some cash to pay for it. Ultimately one of them came back to the USA and borrowed the last money they could get ahold of. Then they tried to run some sketchy deal to multiply it so it would be enough to buy another claim. Of course they got ambushed and robbed, and lost it all. I guess thinking you're going to just walk into someone else's country and be as successful as the locals at mining it, and also getting out again alive and with bags full of gold, just isn't very realistic?

Regarding your Mac G5... I haven't repaired Macs in years actually but I still use the name. I'm kind of out of touch there, although I still use a 27 inch iMac and still have my old G5 sitting around also. That sounds kinda familiar, I was thinking there was a firmware upgrade at one time that fixed a fan issue? Maybe check out the forums on the Apple website? I got lots of hits on Google also, here are just a couple that looked promising:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20051106063023177
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPQMEZNNN0M

Back