• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Want to buy small diamonds under .25 carat

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering I get $100 for my rejects, I think I will pay more than you do for melee. I am setting on over 250 carats of goods under .25 not counting the goods I manufacture with. I think you are lowballing on the melee but that's just my humble opinion.

Dan

Dan Dement said:
I think you are lowballing on the melee but that's just my humble opinion.
Heh!

I guess you can't blame a guy for trying.

I used to refine for a pawn shop. They'd remove stones larger than .2 carat, but they left all small stones in and did not expect them to be returned. I removed them mechanically, using a small glove box and parting wheel on a flex shaft. Those set with prongs came out quickly, while those set with a burr took a little more effort. Still, it was very fast, and worth the time it took. I also recovered gold that was ground away, thanks to the use of the glove box.

I was getting $200/carat for full cut melee, and $100 for single cut. I sold one hell of a lot of diamonds that way.

Harold

Even as a young man, Harold you were WISE!. However, today, with all the brown the Indian junk $200 is a great price for decent goods. The melee I manufacture with costs we around $580 but you see very little coming across the counter. I am not against people making money, I just don't like to see people ripped off especially honest GRF forum members.

Dan

Dan, I am in no way trying to rip people off. Maybe I am the one that is getting ripped off. I have been buying melee for about 2 years now and would love to know where I can get $200 per carat for mixed parcels of melee. I can sell 200+ carats per week. Please email me at [email protected]. I will provide you with my personal cell phone number and would love to talk to you. Maybe you are interested in my melee. Thanks and please know that I am an honest person and would never purposely rip anyone off. Keelan

Kebo,

I never said you can get $200 for the crap. In todays market, the crap is in $100 to $85. area. The money is made by cleaning, frosting, and sorting out the better goods. I got 40 years of doing this and have long term relationships with some guys for decades. Understand, I buy 6 figures a year of nice melee but I am a manufacturing jeweler who makes big bling rings. I am setting on several hundred carats of crap right now but if you want to send me it to me I am happy to quote you a price. I am happy to send it to couple of friends and have them quote it also.

Forgive me if I don't broadcast my sources and friends that has taken me a lifetime to build.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan. I buy mixed parcels of melee from pawn shops, we buy gold shops and individuals that buy gold. I have to take the good with the crap. I am not a gemologist and I would love to have half the knowledge on diamonds that I am sure you have. I may even be interested in your "crap" stones. Please feel free to contact me @ [email protected]. I would be glad to provide you with my phone number. Also, I totally understand you not giving away any info that has taken you a long time to obtain. Thanks again for your reply!!

Back