• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

wanting sorted scrap/jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose7802

Supporting Member
Hi members I am looking for most types of sorted scrap by the pound. I am willing to pay slightly more than the major refiners since I am an at home refiner doing this just to stock pile my gold and know that what I have is pure Au not a plated bar from some scam artist. Please pm me if you are willing to sell to me. I'm leaving for Hawaii on Thursday and the fiance said no gold stuff while we are there so if I don't respond right away this is why. I will be of line from 10/3-10/10. Thanks in advance to anyone willing to sell to me.

Moose,
Where are you located ???
I have some boards that are fair in yield, but with what I paid for them and with the cost of shipping them, would make them a loosing deal if you are over a hundred miles, or in another state than California, where I live.

HI niteliteone. I am in So Cal I really appreciate the replies guys means a lot. I have been processing items and taking yields so I have a rough idea as to what I can pay for certain items and not lose money. I am not doing this to sell the gold as I said before I am strictly doing this just to put it away I don't care about my time invested Honestly just enjoy doing this, so as long as I break even with the cost of chemicals and know that I have a great piece of gold not a piece of junk I'm alright with that. Now i cant buy tons of stuff but I can make purchases of a few hundred dollars at a time and I guess it would be whoever comes first with what I want to buy, that I would buy from them. Seriously thanks again guys means a lot that a few of you have taken the time to reply hope all is well!!

Tyler

Look into buying scrap karat gold and sterling scrap, the value is easier to figure, the material can actually be easier to process than some electronic scrap,and with larger amounts of gold in your melting dish compared to the chemical waste produced that needs to be dealt with.

Study and practice testing of the metals, and calculating the value.
For me electronic scrap many times is kind of a guessing game, trouble is in most guessing games the odds with me guessing, tend to end up that I will lose.

Your pretty funny butcher!! I really appreciate all the advise I am definitely going to look into karat jewelry. I could definitely see how e-scrap is a guessing game because I have processed the same things with the same weight and gotten 2 different yields. I guess right now I am just trying to get a grasp on e-scrap. I do however have some old fillings I picked up off a lady for pretty cheap and my fiance gave me a set 3 different sized 14kt earrings that I was going to take a stab at refining once I re read Hokes on karat gold. Thanks again Butcher for the advise.

Tyler

P.S.
Where would I go about finding scrap jewelry?

Many people have old jewelry sometimes stuck in a box in a drawer, if you go to garage sales ask if the have any old jewelry, they may not put it out, but if you ask they may drag the old box out. if you work where a lot of women work ask them if they have any scrap jewelry they would like money for, you could advertise in Craig list stating you buy or will trade for scrap gold, sometimes you can find sterling silver in the second hand stores some worker overlooked, I have found a couple of ounces that way, I bought some dental gold (teeth) from an auctioneer/antique dealer, he had coffee cans full of dental gold teeth (I wished I could have bought more than I did), I have bought karat gold and sterling from a gold buyer/coin dealer, buying it for melt value (this gives me material to work with and since I just buried the metal till the price rises or hard times, I will get my money back or more later), jewelers scrap is another source, some jewelers will sell some scrap for what they get from a refiner, sometimes they have material that they do not get refined or Know how to deal with like carpets, bench sweeps or vacuum cleaner bags and so on, read Hokes book, she will give you the knowledge which can be helpful when talking to a jeweler. If you live in a mining area put up an add in your local mining supply store, stating you will buy fine placer gold.

Its like when you want apples you keep your eye out for the apple trees.

Back