• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: small Diamonds

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorge-NB

First and foremost, it is Veterans Day. Thanks to all our American Veterans for your service and sacrifices!

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this forum.

I have read the forum to be sure that I am posting using the proper rules and etiquette. Please let me know if I have made any mistakes.

Here is some quick info - I have a very small wholesale diamond company (located in Nashville, TN) and currently have U.S. customers that need small diamonds (melee) for their jewelry designs. It is my hope that some of you have some stones that you are willing to sell. Here is what I am specifically looking to find:

Straight baguettes (not tapered baguettes):
A) 3 x 1.5mm (or very close), D-I color, VS/SI clarity
B) 4-5mm x 2-3mm, D-I color, VS/SI clarity

Rounds (full cut) white D-I color, VS/SI clarity:
C) 1.00mm (tolerance .95-1.05) (approximate carat weight each .005 carats)
D) 1.10mm (approx. weight .006 carats)
E) 1.20mm (approx. .008 carats)

Rounds (full cut) Natural Untreated/Not enhanced color: yellow, champagne, brown etc, VS/SI clarity:
F) 1.00mm
G) 1.10mm
H) 1.20mm

Rounds (full cut) color treated, VS/SI clarity, any color
I) 1.00mm

Tried to be as specific as possible, but I hope I did not go overboard. If you have something other than what is listed that you think may be of interest then feel free to contact me.

We are looking to buy in carat sizes (1-5 carats) and even in small quantities like 10-20 stones or so. I am definitely willing to negotiate a price that works well for you. We are not a huge company, yet we do pay very good prices because we have customers needing the stones. We use an honest and straightforward approach to discuss with you what you have to offer and negotiate your price - respectfully and sincerely. If you choose to work with us then we have the opportunity to build a relationship with one another and work together on mutually beneficial terms.

I did not post a link or contact info because I am uncertain if that is against the rules. So I assume the best way to contact is by sending a private message.

Thank you and look forward to talking with you all,
Jorge

Great idea not posting a link. Could come off wrong considering how new to the forum you are. There are many great and trustworthy members here that may be able to help you as much as you could help them. Goodluck

Tyler

So Jorge, What prices are you paying for your wanted melee? On your bigger 2 carat rounds, For GIA Excellent's, how much of a discount are you paying?

Dan Dement

Thanks Tyler for your reply.

Hello Dan, thank you for your questions.

Regarding what prices I am paying for my wanted melee, to be upfront, for the 3 x 1.5mm baguettes I paid about $400ct, but cannot find them right now from a good secondhand source. I just started looking for the 4-5mm x 2-3mm baguettes so I have not bought any of these yet, but would pay a reasonable price.

The 1.00mm-1.20mm rounds - I have honestly paid all over the spectrum for these depending on the quality and traceability. Some of the highest quality melee where I can also trace to a good polishing center and mine then I have paid over $600ct and would pay more for even higher quality goods, but did not need E color, VVS melee. On lesser secondhand melee in this size I have also paid around $400 more or less. Just depends, I even had a good source of mine give me a bunch one time.

Similar goes for the Natural Fancy color melee, but have paid much more broad range of prices. Since, as you know, some fancy color are more 'prized' like a good pink from Argyle opposed to a light brown then the melee prices here very greatly. Paid less than $250ct for natural fancy yellow to over $1000ct for same color yellow and to as much as around $16,000ct for pinks.

We do not buy color treated melee, but I get requests for it sometimes so was considering it. I have looked into prices and they are fairly low. Depending on the color and quality I would pay a fair price - no low balling.

Dan you asked about how much of a discount I am paying for bigger 2ct rounds. That is a good question. Truthfully, we do not sell too many stones over 1.5 carats. Maybe we would if we could offer them for less perhaps? Are you offering? It really just depends on the source and the market and I typically do not buy unless I have a customer with this particular request.

I hope that I understood and answered all your questions. Thanks for asking.
Jorge

Jorge,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the intelligent answers. I have spent over 30 years in the loose Diamond business before opening a store 14 years ago. Most of the melee thats floating around on GRF is breakouts which the majority is Brown Indian crap and frozen spit. The going price is around $85-$90 for this type of goods. I buy over $100,000 a year of smaller computer cut melee that from .015's to .06 is in the $550-575. range. Better EF -Vs true Ideal melee is in the $700 range from Gruenberger but few people want to pay the price. The baguette goods I use comes Niru in Ny and are fairly reasonable. I buy and sell lots of 2 carat up goods but not many Cinderella's out there only the ugly Step sisters. I really don't see many better goods offered or listed of GRF. I try to be a "high roaad' type of guy selling GIA's Excellent Cut goods and don't play the EGL _IGI BS game. Our real business is custom manufacturing Bling Platinum/Palladium Rings.

Welcome & Good Luck.

Dan Dement
Stone Oak Jewelers

Thanks Dan!

Very nice to meet you and appreciate your help. I apologize for the delay in my response - the week was slammed and tried to spend any free time with my family. Sounds like you are buying some large quantities of nice melee! I'm really interested in a secondhand source of good melee as that is what my customers want. Any suggestions or thoughts? I hear you on the larger stones, I usually only buy GIA too.

Sounds like you have a very successful business! I really appreciate your kind comments and advice. Hope you have a prosperous holiday season.

Jorge

I have a small diamond and several small rubies if your interested. No quantities though.

These were removed from retirement pins that I was given to get the PM's out of.

Not sure if you want to bother with just a few stones.

Jorge,

We do frown upon posting business links with posts and, we do appreciate that you have read the rules and are doing your best to follow them.

The Refiners, Buyers, and Assayers section in Miscellaneous would be a place where you can post your needs and pricing if you so desire, we do not want you to use a link to your business during your general posting but I believe, posting a link in the Refiners, Buyers, and Assayers section will be OK because your services are that which our members can use and are refining related. We just don't want our members posting all over the board with a link on their signature line but a link in your post in that section would be helpful.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you can do some business with our members, Diamond buyers working in the 1 to 5 carat range may be just the thing some of our members need.

Jorge & 4 Metals,

Everybody wants to buy better melee at a better price and bigger diamonds are lusted after by everyone including me. II will buy bigger businesses to get the better melee and lose money in reselling. So much depends on the mix and your ability to go thru and grade out a couple of hundred carats to find the few needles in the haystack. The ability to make it all go away is the secret and knowing whether it is $80. a carat and $100. a carat goods. Truth is, all that goods is going back to India and being put in the "Kohl"s Midnight Special" jewelry. It's called Midnight Jewelry because it better very dark outside in order not to see all the black in the diamonds.

Understand, I buy well over $100,000 a year in melee for years. It's what I manufacture my jewelry with but use the lower quality goods for some price point goods that every jeweler needs to meet the the price point customer. On bigger stones, I almost never see Fine cut, GIA certified goods that my customers want. I almost always have to recut and certify the Diamonds bought from off the street. All the EGL & IGI deals that I see are usually 4-5 grades off. I am always a buyer and have over 40 years experience in the diamond business.

Truth is, I really don't see many diamonds offered unless it's 3-5 carats of breakouts.

Dan

Rick, I may be interested and will let you know when I have another free moment - thanks for letting me know.

Thanks 4metals, I should have realized that the Refiners, Buyers, and Assayers section would be a better place to post. Maybe I will post something there soon. I appreciate your time in letting me know and thanks for the other information you provided.

Dan, you have said many truths in your post. Not really much left for me to say! You mentioned you have to often recut stones - do you all recut in house? I have been looking for a good diamond cutter in the USA. Thanks for all you advice.

Thank you all,
Jorge

Jorge,

The cutter I use is a 30 year friend who does my jobs because of our longterm friendship. He is a true master and has cut some of the largest Fancy cut diamonds in the world. He really does not take on new clients unless it is a world class stone like a 60 carat D Flawless. Every couple of years, I partner a bargain stone with him to let him make the extra money. So forgive me if I don't share his name as I keep my friends that way. There are a couple of guys in Dallas that I hear are pretty good and I will PM you his name & address. I am at home and have his info at my store.

Dan

I have 50 carats of mixed melee and ,.10 .20.30.40.75.95 stones mostly rounds with mixed quality. i am looking to get 200 per carat for the lot. Dan or Jorge?? interested?

Back