• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Q: Lead Cathode Thickness

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necromancer

Hi All,

i have question about the thickness of a lead cathode for a sulfuric stripping cell (reverse electroplating gold)

in my attempt to build a proper cell i have wondered about the "Thickness of the Lead Cathode" :!:

does thickness matter :?: (no april fools "size matters" jokes please)

i have seen homemade ones from fishing weights to cut lead sheet. i can only guess what may be right.

its not a 2000 litre tank, just a 11.5 litre (12 quarts) plastic bin that will have about 8 litres of sulfuric acid. i want a little extra depth as not to have to clean it as often.

right now i am making a plaster mold to pour my molten lead into & would like it to be a correct thickness.

any thoughts would be helpful.

Thank You

Dave C.

My uneducated guess is that the thickness doesn't really matter. I think it is the area of the side facing the anode that makes a difference. I'd just make it thick enough to keep it from getting bent up easy.

the dimensions of the tub =

top:
11" wide X 13.5" length X 5.75" height (or depth)

bottom:
9.5" wide X 11.5" length

there is a small inward slope from top to bottom, i want to keep 1.25" min clearance from the bottom of the tub to the bottom of the cathode.
the sulfuric i want to keep 2" from the top
which leaves me a 2.5" height & 8" width cathode area inside the electrolyte. i am thinking of 1/8" cathode thickness, maybe 3/16"

EDIT:
removed repeated line of math

Home Depot sells a pure lead tube/type thing for bathroom vents

I forget what they call it. It's like $20 and you get a massive piece about 1/8in thick. It's nice. Use that.

joubjonn said:
Home Depot sells a pure lead tube/type thing for bathroom vents

I forget what they call it. It's like $20 and you get a massive piece about 1/8in thick. It's nice. Use that.

its very hard to find lead on there site, because of the spelling of (lead toxic metal) (lead "electrical leads") (lead "corporate leads").....

darn english !!!

It's a lead roof vent pipe or lead flashing

You should be able to find it in Canada. It's a common builders material.

It's perfect for the cell. I Just cut a piece off it and bend it to shape. I have a bunch of it left. I'll never have to buy more lead again. I store the cell piece in a plastic ziplock with water.

Back