• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

gold mud

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digitaria

Hi All - Some of you may know already that I am based in the UK - Bedfordshire
I would like to buy 3 grams of gold mud so I can experiment with precious metal clay.

If anyone is willing to sell some of their treasure, can you please message me.

Thank you

A small piece apparently can hold up just compressed, with water providing enough time, under heat to sinter but larger pieces or pieces with large particle size require a binder. I'm planning to use a rice starch in liquid form with de-ironized, distilled water. Only making up what I need, with as little moisture as possible, reducing shrinkage and hopefully then using a fine mesh size, it would produce a workable product for home use.

I asked a question recently about mesh size, comparing 400 mesh gold mud to gold mud dropped with a copper bus bar to produce a finely divided gold particulate, but maybe all that would need to happen to reduce the mesh size would be to mill the powder? Any thoughts?

hydroxyethyl cellulose (Hec) Is a cheap efficient binder.

This should help with your questions. http://www.google.com/patents/EP0457350A1?cl=en

Sorry to clarify - I used the term gold mud as terminology, which I'm pretty sure I picked up on this site, to mean refined gold precipitate from aqua regia.

I would like to purchase some dry gold powder, if there is a more scientific name I would would use that... which I would keep dry until required, then after weighing out the binder, use this with aqua to wet out the gold powder as a colloid to the gold powder, as required.

I have gold chloride at home but just a gram which is orangey crystals, very sticky, but I need a good dry powder and salt lake metals don't sell anymore and I'm not set up to operate myself, although I would if I had too, with only a small required amount, I thought I could try and learn something new whilst I at it, and make something nice to boot.

Back