• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Silver Electrowinning Cell Wanted

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctgoldbuyer

Looking for a HBS co. or similar 100oz per day electrowinning cell for silver. Also, any resin system that will remove copper and other base metals from solutions.

Reply here and send images if available.

Thank You,

Joe

If you want to build your own there is a very good thread, things that may be of interest to members plus it's follow on further things etc by Deano, not overly expensive and easy enough to do.

ctgoldbuyer said:
Looking for a HBS co. or similar 100oz per day electrowinning cell for silver. Also, any resin system that will remove copper and other base metals from solutions.

Reply here and send images if available.

Thank You,

Joe
When I used to design and setup plating facilities in L.A., I usually used HBS tanks, rectifiers, etc. because they were high quality but were less expensive than those of their competitors. I do remember that they sold a silver cell (a Moebius cell, if I recall), but I don't remember them making an electrowinning tank. I think HBS's name is now:

http://gggtech.com/

An electrowinning cell uses inert anodes and plates out (on the cathodes) the silver already dissolved in the solution from a previous process. The solution is usually re-circulated through the cell from a solution reservoir.

A Thum (horizontal electrodes ) or Moebius (vertical electrodes) silver cell uses impure silver anodes which electrolytically dissolve into the solution. Pure silver is simultaneously deposited on the cathode(s). In this case, the solution is made up to certain specs and only in the quantity needed to fill the cell (usually). Silver cells are electrorefining cells, not electrowinning cells,

Which type cell do you want, electrowinning or electrorefining? In any case, it would probably be less expensive to build your own, unless you can find a cheap used one, which is doubtful.

________________________________ /// _____________________________________

Sort of off the subject but here's an interesting silver cell with a rotating cathode. Very similar to an electrolytic photo fixer tank (which probably could be adapted for use as a silver cell). I see no need for the membrane in this case - to me, it severely complicates a fairly simple arrangement. Of course, the anodes would have to be bagged, either individually or a large cloth on a framework might be used (like the membrane is pictured). There is more info on regular Ag cells starting on p.238, along with a fairly decent Thum cell diagram.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AnL7CAAAQBAJ&pg=PA243&dq=Fig+4.14+intitle:Industrial+intitle:Electrochemistry+inauthor:walsh&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjp5Lj8s-PKAhUM8CYKHe0RDXgQ6AEIJjAA#v=onepage&q=Fig%204.14%20intitle%3AIndustrial%20intitle%3AElectrochemistry%20inauthor%3Awalsh&f=false

I need a electrowinning. I need a cell big enough to process 1000 gal a month for recovery from fixer solution.

I have some pure 18 gauge titanium sheet, bus bar, and power supplies available. Send a PM.

Keep in mind that there's significant fumes involved with those.

Re: Electowinning Cell. I have for sale, never used, brand new "Gold Bug" Electowinning Cell. I need a good jaw crusher now so I'm selling this unit so I can get a crusher. Will take a loss so if interested call me.,, in Canada at 1-250-983-9385 or email [email protected]. PS; I see no link for attachments so if you email I can send pics

MA62016 said:
I need a electrowinning. I need a cell big enough to process 1000 gal a month for recovery from fixer solution.
Who is still using old photographic processes in your area?If you don't mind me asking.
The last big Kodak filter I got was from a school that had not used it since the 90's.
All my old dentist offices have converted to digital X-ray along with the engineering firms down at Plymouth dock yard.
I just do not see any one processing old black and white any more.
So was curious as to which industry is still using legacy techniques.
It must be a niche application.

The people that make the turbine blades you process(ed) are the largest users of industrial X-ray film (even over pipe inspectors in oil and gas).

That film runs from 0.35-0.45 Troy oz/lb.

Lou said:
The people that make the turbine blades you process(ed) are the largest users of industrial X-ray film (evening over pipe inspectors in oil and gas).

That film runs from 0.35-0.45 Troy oz/lb.
They use them over here as well but now have turned to Digital radiography instead, X-ray imaging, where digital X-ray sensors are used instead of traditional photographic film. Advantages include time efficiency through bypassing chemical processing and the ability to digitally transfer and enhance images. Also, less radiation can be used to produce an image of similar contrast to conventional radiography.
It is now standard on all there weld nut analysis and seam inspection that I know of over here.
With the amount of inspection needed to check a sub they found the older methods impractical.
It is good to see the the older methods some time's.
Alcoa Howmet is quite secretive about there internal processes ,them being the only local producer of single crystal alloy components limit's my understanding of the industry ,most interesting though.
Regards
J

The use of film is only for applications limited by the CCD due to operating potential (usually 650 kV+) required to X-ray through very thick sections in high resolution. That's when film is used. As high resolution CCD detectors advance, industrial film will go away.

http://www.creweb.com/services/equipment/

also check ebay and amazon for used equipment. Printers used these by the thousands 20 years ago. Should be plenty collecting dust in their back rooms.

MA62016 said:
Hey Michael Montoya,how goes the refining business?

Back