• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Going to retire and want a replacement, for me.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberdan

Going to retire and want a replacement, for me.

Actually I retired about six months ago. I bought a place up in northern California and can not continue my cell phone recycling business in Orange County, CA. I am looking for a local person to step in and take over. Will consider cash or trade on my small business.

I have a very good cell phone source and two recyclers that will buy everything. One is within 30 miles and he pays pretty good the other is across the country. He pays about the same but also picks up shipping. The local recycler has limited receiving hours, so sending across the country, for free, is a good choice. They both pay based on how gold is doing.

If anyone is interested please contact me ASAP. I am moving end of this month and want to pass on this business very soon.

Here are some of my business facts. I made my first bulk cell purchase in 2011 of 1000 phones and to date I bought 41,854 cells. I always pay 50¢ each, any more and no profit. Any less and my source dries up. Depending on where gold is I could sell that phone for between 62¢ and 89¢. That is based on getting $3.50 lb to $5.00 lb. Those are the ranges I have been paid since 2011.

My main supplier right now gets me about 300 cells every two weeks. I usually wait till I have close to 1000 before reselling. They are all trashed androids or older flip and slider phones. Both recyclers want the Li Ion batteries pulled from the phones. So that is another source of income. About every two or three months I have accumulated 20-25 lbs to sell to them.

My supplier is in Buena Park and I always drive over, count the cells and pay cash. If you speak Spanish that would be a plus in communication. But we have been able to get by for many years with only a couple misunderstandings.

Please get in touch soon.

Dan
Good luck on your move and especially on your retirement. Hope you
have time to drop by the forum in between naps and fishing.
Larry

lg701 said:
Good luck on your move and especially on your retirement. Hope you
have time to drop by the forum in between naps and fishing.Larry
Retirement was not by choice. Company owner wanted to save money so he invented "business is slow so I have to lay you off" Two week lates someone 20 years younger (and cheaper) was in my office. Pure age discrimination buy of course that can rarely be proven. Been a loyal employee with that company over 10 years and that is my reward.

Oh, well I am a young 66 and ready for fishing but not a dirt nap. :twisted:

I am going to continue my recycling but on a much smaller scale. My new town is only about 7000 population.

That's pretty easy to prove. Well it would be in the UK anyway, since we have more rigid employment laws. You can't lay off an employee after ten years to replace them with someone younger and cheaper- as an employer I would be liable for a lot of compensation.

Over here you have to wait at least 6 months before replacing someone in the same role.

I like your offer, but i live in Asia. Can i still posible tonl replace you, or help your business?

Phil here. New to the gold industry. Been paning and melting with Borox. But I've been collecting rock with what I think has gold, crushing by hand, cleaning and melting with the yellow stuff. Any way my question to you is, what are the requirements to replacement.

Good luck in your retirement, and new adventures, I do not think we could replace you, Dan, your just one of a kind...

Sounds like you had a nice little recycling business set up, it also sounds like a good opportunity, for someone who lives in the area, wishing to step into a small business or to gain some income for their work and in recycling phones for the metals we need.

Good luck in finding that person who wishes to make a little profit in providing the recycling service.

butcher said:
Good luck in finding that person who wishes to make a little profit in providing the recycling service.
I just noticed your post. I come on this forum a lot but never this post.

I never did find a replacement but I talked to the recycler buyer that is about 30 miles away. He will pay me a commission on everything someone brings in. Then I talked to one of the guys that I bought cells from. I told him he can have my business for free and gave him the buyers address. So for the last four years I got a check every six months. ($200 to $300 each)

But believe it or not I restarted my scrapping business two months ago. I take in computers, TVs and electronics and pull the boards, CPU, RAM and wires. On TVs I pull the yolk and degaussing wires. (full of copper)

I just made a deal with a local computer repair place. He is going out of business and I will get all his old computers, laptops and parts. I just picked up 6 computers, a dozen laptops and boxes of computer parts. He has a storage unit full of computers. I will get those also.

ReTire, Working as hard as ever, I do not think there is a replacement for you. the more you look the more work you seem to find.

I am trying to retire my tractor, or at least get a new tube.

Back