• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need suppliers for crucibles & cupels

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't worry about where the crucibles come from Snoman. There are plenty on ebay for $2 to $3 each from China/HK including packaging that will do fine for you. I bought 20 2 years ago and I am still using them, I just clean them up in Sulphuric acid and re-use.

Alternatively you can pay 5 times as much for the same ones in the US that they have already bought from the same place 8)

I'm not sure about cupels because I have never had the need to use them.

Stay away from the crucibles on etsy though, I'm pretty sure thats where David got some of his one time. And it didnt even make it a couple minutes under the torch and literally melted a hole right through the dish.

As far as I remember, they looked identical to the ones we all use. But, that was months and months ago, and I can't find the picture. Maybe he still has it laying around for show and tell.

snoman701 said:
Naaa, these are for setting up fire assay.

What's the difference? Hey if I'm missing something having never needed to do any fire assays then I'm happy to be educated.

anachronism said:
snoman701 said:
Naaa, these are for setting up fire assay.

What's the difference? Hey if I'm missing something having never needed to do any fire assays then I'm happy to be educated.

So the biggest difference is that a fireclay crucible is made for melting not only the sample, but also flux. The flux bubbles and boils and eats away at the crucible. You want tall form simply so you aren't spilling flux on to the refractory.

You may not have ever had a need to do a fire assay, but it is the standard by which the whole industry relies...it takes considerably less skill and there are less variables.

I have very few problems on recovery...but accurate accountability, I know is something that will take time to develop.

snoman701 said:
You may not have ever had a need to do a fire assay, but it is the standard by which the whole industry relies...it takes considerably less skill and there are less variables.

Ok, I'll bear that in mind. :lol:

anachronism said:
snoman701 said:

Ok, I'll bear that in mind. :lol:

As you should! You might do better for yourself. :lol:

Seriously though...why don't you like it?

To me, especially coupled with xrf, it's a really reliable way of determining exact composition.

The other thing for me is that I'm not buying in the same quantity you are, so my margins shrink as my purchase price & processing price goes up a bit.

If any one has a C.N.C. or 3D printer this looks quite good.
I would like to be able to make my own crucible's as they are not meant to last that long,may need to be broken in any case and if you get going you may need quite a lot of them.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1867720
if someone could bring the price down he might sell afew to the board.

You'd be better off buying finished crucibles.

To make crucibles the "right way" you need a ram press. Making the mold is a bit of an art in and of itself.

Having a homemade crucible break open on you depletes any and all savings.

Back