• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Need someone to refine my gold pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aimpointftw

Hi i was wondering if anyone would refine my pins they must be in the midwest region we will discuss what you will take. I wont need it for a while, but just so i can text you when i need you to refine for me

THANKS ALOT!!!!

Photos of what type of pins you have will be the first thing you should add to your post. Second, amount. Third, location.

Under 10 lbs, accountability is 40%, more than 10 lbs, accountability is 50%
No melt fee, No assay fee, no refine fee.

Assay made by melt/pin sample & analysis of pin

Payment within 5 business days of receipt.

snoman701 said:
Under 10 lbs, accountability is 40%, more than 10 lbs, accountability is 50%
No melt fee, No assay fee, no refine fee.

Assay made by melt/pin sample & analysis of pin

Payment within 5 business days of receipt.

So you keep half the gold from the pins if the lot is over 10 pounds?

Yes, but 10-20lbs is pretty much all I can do per week right now. In time that amount will go up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna knock the guy for being honest about how much he charges Scott, but I would think though that the more product the less the fee.

I think what he was saying was anything under 10 lbs and it's 60% refining fee. Anything over 10 lbs the fee is 50%.

Now as all you guys know, I don't refine. So I'll ask. Are pins that hard to refine that you'd have to give up half the gold content to have them done? I'm not knocking Snoman's fees, it just seems that selling them on E-Bay would still be the better option. Discuss.

Doing the acid method, yes. Pins suck.
Its uneconomic as could be.
I charged 25% and on the 6 batches I tolled at that rate, the only one I made profit on was (of course) the very first batch. I ate my hat on one, badly, the pins looked good, but ended up being a bronze substrate. So when I ran them in nitric, it ended up having a litre of tin sludge. It was terrible, and I hated every moment of it.

If I would get on with CN leaching, it would be a simple and easy process though, where expense is next to nothing, and losses are very little. Additionally, waste treatment is significantly less with CN.
Win win win

Kurt mentioned being able to run 30 Lbs of pins with ecogoldex and having around 5 gallons of waste to treat. ...compared to around 65-75 gal for nitric leaching then AR

Selling them on ebay is certainly one route but it depends how many you have. If your only options for refining them are dissolving in acid or using a sulphuric cell then they are a lot of work to recover properly. If you can surface leach them, then its a few minutes work to strip the gold. The recovery from solution is pretty much the same time as for AR in terms of time.

Time also comes into it and whilst a lot of people place no value on their time, I stack my pins until I have enough to have leached in one big batch. I don't take pins in as toll work because the time/reward maths just doesn't add up so I actually do agree with Sno's maths with the proviso that it should be less cost percentage for larger batches.

I hope that's some help.

Jon

Topher_osAUrus said:
Doing the acid method, yes. Pins suck.
Its uneconomic as could be.
I charged 25% and on the 6 batches I tolled at that rate, the only one I made profit on was (of course) the very first batch. I ate my hat on one, badly, the pins looked good, but ended up being a bronze substrate. So when I ran them in nitric, it ended up having a litre of tin sludge. It was terrible, and I hated every moment of it.

If I would get on with CN leaching, it would be a simple and easy process though, where expense is next to nothing, and losses are very little. Additionally, waste treatment is significantly less with CN.
Win win win

Kurt mentioned being able to run 30 Lbs of pins with ecogoldex and having around 5 gallons of waste to treat. ...compared to around 65-75 gal for nitric leaching then AR

Too right. Some jobs go south from the get go.

I agree with most of your post Chris, but you can run 30 pounds of pins in a cyanide leach in much less than 5 gallons.

Jon

anachronism said:
Time also comes into it and whilst a lot of people place no value on their time, I stack my pins until I have enough to have leached in one big batch. I don't take pins in as toll work because the time/reward maths just doesn't add up so I actually do agree with Sno's maths with the proviso that it should be less cost percentage for larger batches.

I hope that's some help.

Jon

Exactly.

If I could afford to take in 100 lbs at a time, my % take should drop...I honestly don't know how far, because I'm not there, and I'm not in the business of shooting myself in the foot. :D

I can tell you that if I were Silversaddle and I wanted to get rid of the quantity of pins he has, I would not be the person I sent them to. Not at this time. He needs to match his supply to someone who has the capability to work with that amount of material.

I could explain this in any number of ways...but this is the easiest. What level of education would it take for someone to walk in to YOUR JOB as a assayer, purchaser, refiner, seller. Now ask them to put their life savings on the line for every purchase. What would you then have to pay any competent person in that position, to do it independently?

You won't find people lining up to take the job...so why should we?

Topher_osAUrus said:
Additionally, waste treatment is significantly less with CN.
Win win win

I don't believe that to be the case once you operate as a business, as it's a listed waste.

Palladium said:
Striping cell!

I would honestly rather work with cyanide than use one of those Ralph. Hot concentrated Sulphuric acid and a massive number of interactions with it as you feed in and replace the pins, not to mention the drips as you transfer them. No thanks. It's safer with cyanide.

Then again - if you have only got access to Sulphuric then that's what it's gotta be but I do think people get the higher risk method the wrong way around.

snoman701 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
Win win win

I don't believe that to be the case once you operate as a business, as it's a listed waste.[/quo

You can destroy the danger just as easily as you can acid waste.

I really despise running pins in Nitric. It seems every time I have tried it, the pins must have been 99% tin :cry: At this point, I am unsure of how I would process them for someone else though. With my experience it would most likely be a sulfuric cell just because that is where I have the most experience, out side of AP or similar efforts.

I am curious to see how others would handle it as well.

anachronism said:
snoman701 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
Win win win

I don't believe that to be the case once you operate as a business, as it's a listed waste.

You can destroy the danger just as easily as you can acid waste.

You are absolutely correct. But it's still a listed hazardous waste....the cost at that point isn't in the destruction, it's in the paperwork.

snoman701 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
Win win win

That wasnt the point, I wasn't saying "oh just dump it, its in nuts and bugs, a la natural, she'll be alright" -oh no, not in the least.
I meant that for running 30 lbs of pins, its much cheaper to treat the waste for CN than nitric leaching.
Its >5gal vs 60+ gal
A few gal of bleach, vs many kilos of lye or lime

And.. A 5 gallon bucket vs a 55gal drum just sounds so much more appealing as far as a work task of waste treatment.

Really, the acid would probably be more than that, since 1 gal dissolves 2lbs ish, plus the 50-50 dilution, rinses, etc.. Its probably closer to 75.

Edit for a letter

Topher_osAUrus said:
snoman701 said:
Topher_osAUrus said:
Win win win

That wasnt the point, I wasn't saying "oh just dump it, its in nuts and bugs, a la natural, she'll be alright" -oh no, not in the least.
I meant that for running 30 lbs of pins, its much cheaper to treat the waste for CN than nitric leaching.
Its >5gal vs 60+ gal
A few gal of bleach, vs many kilos of lye or lime

And.. A 5 gallon bucket vs a 55gal drum just sounds so much more appealing as far as a work task of waste treatment.

Really, the acid would probably be more than that, since 1 gal dissolves 2lbs ish, plus the 50-50 dilution, rinses, etc.. Its probably closer to 75.

Edit for a letter

That would make more sense.

If it was me, I'd make another 25 gallons of waste treating the 75. That barrel sure does fill fast!

Back