• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Gold Refining Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

first welder

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trierwnd

I've finally got enough project that require a welder to officially begin looking for a welder to call my own. The problem? I don't (currently) know squat about welding, and I don't want to get a crappy welder that will be useless in the long-term. At the same time, I'm pretty frugal in my tool purchases, and I don't plan on spending more $$$$ that what makes sense for what I plan on doing. (Prefer to keep everything under $300, cheaper if reasonable.)

I don't have a deadline on when I need it, so I plan on just keeping my eyes open for sales or good used equipment. I just need to know what to look for so that I can pull the trigger when I see it.

What I plan on doing is basic repair and fabrication stuff, mostly with some combination of:

Tube steel
Rebar
Fence posts
Sheet metal

Probably the "top end" of what I might do is build a go-kart or something similar.

I don't currently have any handy 240V outlets in my shop or my garage. Are 120V welders sufficient for most work, or am I going to need to upgrade to 240V for a welder that will do good general purpose welding?

How necessary/useful are gas welders (mig/tig) over non-gas welders?

I'm only going to likely use the welder 4-6 times/year. Will the cheaper ($100-300) welders sufficient, or are they crap that will burn up after an afternoon of use?

Are their features I should be looking for?

Are their any good places to find good used welders?

What types of accessories should I buy? Helmet, apron, gloves, clamps, etc. Any recommendations?

My suggestion is an oxygen-acetylene torch, it would be my choice, It is the most versatile welder, when you learn to weld with it you learn the basics of welding and can learn to use any welder.

Second that, it's perfect to melt precious metals too, so no need for buying a welder and a torch. Gold melts like butter with an acetylene welder.

Göran

I have a 110v Lincoln 175 wire, (MIG), welder and love it. It will weld up to 1/4" thick. I use it for exactly what you describe, have been using it hard for 10 years, still works like new.

If you learn to weld well with a torch though it will do all the same stuff. Keeps from having both a torch and welder. Unless you just really want one, lol.

Don't buy either the MIG or Oxy-Acetylene unit just yet.

Find a local college with a welding/metals technology department and spend your money on some day or night classes in metal fabrication and use their equipment to answer for yourself. A decent shop should have all types of welding equipment to play with.

Peace,
James

The only welder within your budget that I can recommend is going to be a used lincoln weld pak 100 w/mig conversion. It's a 110 v welder that can weld 1/4" with proper weld prep. That should leave you enough money left over to buy a spool of wire, replace the liner in the torch, fill the tank and maybe get a cheap helmet.

You MAY be able to find another 110 v MIG welder, lincoln or miller in that price range.

I would not recommend anything that isn't one of those two brands. You are better off spending more money.
Hobart MAY be acceptable (it was 10 years ago, but quality has suffered a lot on consumer goods since, do your research online. I would not recommend a stick arc welder.

As for torch welding. IF you are patient or have been taught, you can weld with an oxy/fuel torch. It is not easy to learn, and it's even harder to apply to utility welding. I've done it and can do it well in the proper environment, but I can't do it lying on my back in my driveway under the lawnmower or a trailer.

snoman701 said:
As for torch welding. IF you are patient or have been taught, you can weld with an oxy/fuel torch. It is not easy to learn, and it's even harder to apply to utility welding. I've done it and can do it well in the proper environment, but I can't do it lying on my back in my driveway under the lawnmower or a trailer.

True that.

I've got MIG/TIG/Oxyacetylene and I can't use any of them well. 8) 8)

As the guys said each had its strengths and weaknesses, and most importantly- applications.

Oxy for melting gold and running the AAS.

MIG for general steel work
TIG for Stainless Steel work/Aluminium.

It's the same as people asking if I play the guitar- the answer is " I have lots but I can't play any of them well. :lol: :lol:

I invite the skill over for an afternoon and ply them with drink when I need something doing properly and since the tackle is all here they oblige!

Jon

Back