What's your favorite precious metal?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your favorite precious metal?

• Platinum

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rhodium

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Ruthenium

• Gold

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Silver

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Palladium

• Osmium

• Iridium

• Rhenium

• They're all money to me, love 'em all! :P

• Total voters
Not because it's valuable but because it is one of the most ancient of Elements, being derived from Silver isotopes going to Palladium then to Rhodium via isotope decay. There is only one isotope of Rhodium.

Scientists use the Palladium/Rhodium isotope ratios to calculate the age of meteorites. Those with the highest Rodium content are the oldest. They estimate that there have been at least five 'Big Bang' collapses of the Universe based on the age of certain Meteorites.

Naturally occuring Rhodium is very ancient.

silver is my fav. it is soft and very matalic.

hey guys what does iridum go for nowadays?

For me it's gold.
I love it's shining sunshine colour :D
But I never had or refined other precious metals than silver (and gold).
Maybe this summer I'll get my hands on some...

Iridium is about 450 an oz. but it's hard to find, and even harder to refine.

Rhodium is neat stuff, a lot of it comes from either Russia or South Africa, the rest comes from that very decay process you mentioned--it is extracted out of spent nuclear fuel rods.

I like the PGM's. I wouldn't turn down any gold,
but I always liked the platinum group because
of the rarity and challenge. There is so much gold
jewelry out there it makes it seem less of a rarity.
Jim

Mmmm, ...?
I have found gold to be pretty easy to deal with , chemically that is.
These pgm's give me a fit.
This rhodium is as about the hardest thing to contend with , I've ever saw.
It has to be the noblest of the noblest.

Not to mention, the most expensive!

As it is, gold is worth roughly 1 tenth what rhodium is.

Need I say more. :D

Mark

Noxx said:
For me it's gold.
I love it's shining sunshine colour :D

We should all keep in mind that aside from copper, gold is unique in that it is the only element that we all recognize as a metal that is not white, or silver in color. I vote for gold, which I found to be very easy to process.

Harold
edit: corrected comment. No change in message.

Gold has a mystique unlike any other metal. I've come to like all metals that can turn a dollar. I guess metal's like beer, they're all good if you get enough of it. :wink:

If the precious metal is in my possession then it's one of my favorite PM. It's like the pickup truck I drive. If it falls out of favore then it's time for a trade. My favorite woman, Ofcource, my wife. I might flirt but my wife knows who I come home with. Gold is still exciting to find as much as it was the first time I found some. My favorite food in moderation is good right done to the last bite. Sorry for beating this subject down to the ground, But prospecting is so much fun.

Back