Which precious metal would you like to see refined?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which precious metal would you most like to see refined?

• Platinum

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Palladium

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • Rhodium

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Gold

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Silver

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Ruthenium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Osmium

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Iridium

Votes: 4 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lou

Staff member
I would like to take suggestions on which metal we should get to know better. There is limited info on Pt, Rh, Ru/Os and some others...

We have much on the forum about silver and gold, and it would be tempting to talk about ruthenium, osmium, or iridium. But out of the platinum groups those three are not encountered as often as Pd, Pt, and Rh. Most that wish to try refining platinum groups will try with catalytic converters due to easy access. We have far more written here on platinum and palladium than we do rhodium. Rh is also increasingly being used as a plating (hence a valuable byproduct) on sterling and karat gold scrap.

Rhodium has my vote.

Pd i would like to learn about more. Lou what about the thread on nucleation? I'm still learning about it and would love to hear your wisdom on the subject.

Lou!
you have a lot of free time :lol:

i would like to see separation of a sinthered mixture of light and heavy platinum metals.

it can be a great model, because there will be visible partial dissolutions, "contaminations" with other PGM, dragdowns, coprecipitations etc etc.

mixed PGM stuff is most common input material

but i know, this is a looot of work

Most of what we see here on Pt is just making ammonium hexachloroplatinate. Not that one can't get decent results (or more than decent, bordering on unexpectedly impressive if you're Steve) with simple re-precipitation.

Maybe I will do Pt, Pd, Rh.

Most often my feed is PtRh or PtIr and the Pd is with Au, Ag. I'd really rather not get terribly involved with Ir because I don't have enough at the moment to make it worth the hassle (usually get it from jewelry).

Let's see how it pans out.

Palladium said:
Pd i would like to learn about more. Lou what about the thread on nucleation? I'm still learning about it and would love to hear your wisdom on the subject.

I'll hit it soon.

i would like to begin experimenting with Palladium myself. i have at least a thousand pounds of material that contains MLCC's. by most of our refiners standards, this isnt very impressive. but for me, its a nice size nest egg if i can learn how to process it efficiently.

The harsh reality is that the average refiner who deals with the platinum metals is most likely to encounter platinum and palladium, possibly exclusively. The vast majority of readers will benefit far greater by discussing these two metals, as the others aren't likely to be encountered, especially in quantity. These comments are particularly true for those who process karat gold from jeweler's wastes and dental wastes.

Harold

since i deal with electronic stuffs i chose palladium however i would like to see how you would separate pgms in the future if that is not too much to ask of youb:wink:

alan

I have been very busy lately in fact so busy I haven't even had much time to log on & read the forum so I missed this poll.

That said - had I read the poll before it closed I would have voted for Rh due to the fact of the three PGMs most incountered (Pt, Pd & Rh) Rh has the least info to be found

Kurt

I demand a recount! :mrgreen:

I voted for rhodium but I can accept a palladium thread by Lou too... still waiting. :)

Göran

It's according to if we're going by the popular vote or the electoral college. :mrgreen:

Back