Glucose Test Strips

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmdlcar

I have about 200 hundred that is gold and my wife has about 300 hundred that is silver. Can someone tell about how will it to get 1 gram of gold? The one that looks silver are they silver? And how do you think will it take to get 1 gram.

Yield of 10 gold strips is @ .09 grams, silver is a slight bit less but they are silver. Keep saving and make sure you use a nitric bath to remove any organic matter first. It will also act to dissolve the silver for cementing. Very good luck with the process. Mike

It's amazing what you find at the local $1.00 lot box auctions.
I've found almost 1 set of diabetese testing kits / week. The electronic tester board looks alot like cell phone boards with lots of gold spots and traces.
I need to read more as I thought only sulphuric acid disolved organics and Nitric was metals? Of course the test strips are plastic of some kind so need to be cut out as much as possible.

Using Nitric as the first step is done with the acid heated to about 150 F. Found it to be useful in destroying any possible viral/bacterial contamination which may be present. The second step is to incinerate in a covered container or run through a paper shredder to expose as much surface area as you can. Makes the dissolve with follow on baths much faster and complete.

Take a close look at them. Gold will be very obvious on both ends of the gold ones. Silver is on almost all of the others, including the disc type and appears as black traces. Incineration is a helpful step to get rid of the plastic film. Good luck

mdghamon said:
Yield of 10 gold strips is @ .09 grams, silver is a slight bit less but they are silver. Keep saving and make sure you use a nitric bath to remove any organic matter first. It will also act to dissolve the silver for cementing. Very good luck with the process. Mike
Not trying to be smart but that seems to be pretty high. If my maths is correct it would only take 400 strips to give you 36 grams.
Is that 24k or lower.
I've got around 500 of the little buggers, tried soaking in hot soapy water for 2 days. Ended up peeling the top layer off by hand, then tried boiling them in plain water.
Still no result.
Don't have any acids or such yet so basically just hunter gathering bits and pieces.

madmax said:
mdghamon said:
Not trying to be smart but that seems to be pretty high. If my maths is correct it would only take 400 strips to give you 36 grams.
Is that 24k or lower.
I've got around 500 of the little buggers, tried soaking in hot soapy water for 2 days. Ended up peeling the top layer off by hand, then tried boiling them in plain water.
Still no result.
Don't have any acids or such yet so basically just hunter gathering bits and pieces.

10 gold strips yielding .09 grams = .09g gold/10 strips = .009 gram gold per strip. 400 * .009 = 3.6 not 36, right?

Auful said:
madmax said:
mdghamon said:
Is that 24k or lower.
Still no result.

10 gold strips yielding .09 grams = .09g gold/10 strips = .009 gram gold per strip. 400 * .009 = 3.6 not 36, right?
Your number is right about 3500 strips would be about 32 grams of gold. There no base metal to deal with.

Jack

Yep thats what happens when you try doing several things at once when tired lol.
Now it makes sense.
Any how will still keep them and play around.

Max, you can heat the gold strips with a propanne torch or even a cigarette lighter to shrivel them. this will release the glue in seconds rather than hours. The key, as Jack has noted is to accumulate as much as possible and do your preliminary processing as you can. Just put all of it aside until you can get the acids you need. PM me if you have any questions or problems with your process. Mike

mdghamon said:
Max, you can heat the gold strips with a propanne torch or even a cigarette lighter to shrivel them. this will release the glue in seconds rather than hours. The key, as Jack has noted is to accumulate as much as possible and do your preliminary processing as you can. Just put all of it aside until you can get the acids you need. PM me if you have any questions or problems with your process. Mike
Thanks Mike, I'm gathering all the bits and pieces I can at the moment.
Waiting on a couple of crucibles I ordered.
Got the family and a couple of friends saving their test strips for me so hopefully can get a steady supply.
Just wanting to try little things to see how easy or hard it is.
Also busting to get a little nugget :lol:

If you search the forum i posted a thread on processing sim cards with sodium hydroxide that will work for this i think.

Has anybody recovered and refined gold from the INR (coagcheck) test strips? i am collecting them now, but don't have enough to test yield. They look to have more gold than the glucose strips, but perhaps looks are deceiving in this case?

I'm up to 700 gold strip when I get 1000 I will start to process them

Here is what I think I need to do.
1. Take Muriatic Acid 32% (HCL) and Clorox Regular Bleach to process the gold
2. Then filter out the junk.
3. Take Sodium Meta Bisulfite (SMB) to drop the gold.
4. Then dry to power.
5. Melt the power to a button.

Do any other have any other idea?

The test strips that I've seen have a plastic coating/lamination. you will need to remove this with fire/heat. Also try to calculate the Sq,In of 1000 strips and see if a 20-10 micro inches its worth the time or if you will need more to see gold from them. 20-10 micro inches might be the upper limit on thees cause there not in a wear spot.

Eric

What does it cost for 1000 strips?

Hi etack,

I have remove all I can and all I see now is gold on one side with a little glue. Should I remove the glue? Do I need to change anything what I wrote how to process them? There no base metal to deal with as I can see. I can say 108 strips is about 36 sq. inch.

The strips cost me $0.00 they are free. My brother, my friends and me use Accu-Chek strips. My wife strips are TrueTest.

Jack

I'm in the middle of trying to process around 500 strips. It's been a bugger trying to remove the glue.
The strips are simple enough a plastic base strip layer of gold glue and a cover strip.
I tried sitting in hot water to remove the glue.
Then I tried boiling in Sodium Hydroxide the gold did come of but the glue turned to a jelly like substance and clogs the filters with the gold.
Did try melting a couple they ignited and burnt down to a black sticky lump with a tiny piece of gold.
I even peeled the top layer off of them while I sat here reading the forum to see if it helped, very tedious job and hard on arthritic fingers and certainly not viable with large batches.
I know I have lost some values, but I figure this is a learning exercise and practise will make better.
Costwise I had to buy the strips to watch my sugar levels as the Doctor told me I was pre diabetic. As such I was not able to get them on the PBBS and had to pay around $60 a box of 100.
Another thing to bear in mind is with the ACCU-CHEK strips is a coded chip that looks like it contains gold as well.
Hope my limited experiences help others and we can find an easy way to process these little things.

madmax said:
I'm in the middle of trying to process around 500 strips. It's been a bugger trying to remove the glue.
The strips are simple enough a plastic base strip layer of gold glue and a cover strip.
I tried sitting in hot water to remove the glue.
Then I tried boiling in Sodium Hydroxide the gold did come of but the glue turned to a jelly like substance and clogs the filters with the gold.
Did try melting a couple they ignited and burnt down to a black sticky lump with a tiny piece of gold.
I even peeled the top layer off of them while I sat here reading the forum to see if it helped, very tedious job and hard on arthritic fingers and certainly not viable with large batches.
I know I have lost some values, but I figure this is a learning exercise and practise will make better.
Costwise I had to buy the strips to watch my sugar levels as the Doctor told me I was pre diabetic. As such I was not able to get them on the PBBS and had to pay around $60 a box of 100.
Another thing to bear in mind is with the ACCU-CHEK strips is a coded chip that looks like it contains gold as well.
Hope my limited experiences help others and we can find an easy way to process these little things.
How many strips did you melt down? And how big was it?

Back