Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi Everyone

I am a new member from the UK do we have any other UK members.

I have been reading with great interest all the refining ect: you all do.

My question is what is Aqua Regia :? What i want to do is turn my black sands into Gold :oops:

When you use an acid to clean the black sands first is the acid used neat. Do you rinse the acid of before putting into a tumbler.

When the black sands and mercury are put into the tumbler do I add water as well.

When using a srynge do I put something over the end to act like a filter to draw the gold of. Also does it still leave me with the mercury to use again.

Sorry so many questions but my wife is the one who is going to collect the black sands as with her ailments she finds it difficult to use the sluice and pump.

Welshgold

Hello Welsh,
Before handeling mercury, you should learn a lot because mercury isn't forgiving.

I can't help you with black sand as I never tried to refine them.

Aqua Reagia is a strong acid mix that can dissolve gold. It's made from HCl and nitric acid.

I hope it helps a bit.

As one of the few stream prospectors here I will tell you what I know. I have dealt with a ton of black sands and since there also hapens to be some merc where I find my gold I have a little experience with it also. Someone likely told you to clean your black sands in Chlorox or straight (or diluted) Nitric acid before tumbling black sands with merc. Gold and black sand from a stream environment will have coatings on them that will not let the merc fully amalgemate all gold- also the other part is some of the black sands may actually be gold with a black staining. Anyways as Noxx said Aqua Regia will disolve gold and put it into solution- then there would be nothing for the merc to amalgemate anyways. Also Nitric will burn off merc sos if you tumble black sands in Nitric to clean them rinse well before adding merc- I have read that if you have the blacks in the tumbler about the consistency of concrete that they will clean themselves and the gold with no outside help anyways (very abbrasive). I have heard of people leaching their gold out of black sands as the fastest and most thorough way- I just haven't graduated to that level yet. Best of luck in the UK. Mark

Back