Take A Guess

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekbit

Well like the title says, any guesses? 2 lbs 6 oz of gold plated test pin sleeves. 1/4 gram per sleeve is about 4000 of them :eek:

The whole lot going into AP as soon as I finish this post. Still have about 6 more pounds of them. But due to the shear volume I'm only doing what is posted for now.2lbs 6 oz pin sleaves .JPG

FrugalRefiner said:
I'll guess 2 lbs. 6 ounces. What do I win if I'm the closest? :lol:

Dave
You get personal satisfaction :lol: Just put them in, well 1lb of them, thought I could get the whole pile in but not going to fit. 30 minutes and I have foils all over.

Lou said:
I don't remember those being mind blowing
1st filtration of AP yielded 1/2 gram of nice powder, 2 more filtration's of the AP yielded about the same quantity and quality of foils as the first. Dry weight about 3 grams.
AP Foils.jpg

The inner gold and a lot of pins did not yield to the AP. So a good hot rinse and 600 ml HNO3 at about 20% was used to finish the job, foils in thee jar.

Photo0072.jpg

So far it's looking real good. This is from 1 lb, still have the other 1 1/2 lbs to go.

Lou said:
So six grams/kg?
Lou

According to my calculations, that should be about right. I did some in HNO3 during testing and the 6 grams was based on that, but the cost in HNO3 was almost 1/2 the recovery value. To much in my opinion.

By going with AP first then a final pass with HNO3 i cut the HNO3 cost by 75%, and it's a much cleaner outcome.
The dry foil weight is above 14k.

The bad part, "my vacuum filter broke", done, history, no fixing it.

Are these pins ones without the spring or push pin?

I had several pounds of these run with different styles of feet and springs they ran in the .9 to 1.1g#

Eric

etack said:
Are these pins ones without the spring or push pin?

I had several pounds of these run with different styles of feet and springs they ran in the .9 to 1.1g#

Eric

Well, i have both, what you see is just the sleeve that the spring loaded pin would be slipped into.

Ok the final result.

AP 2.3 gal, HNO3 1ltr, total gold recovery from the 2.5 lbs = 4.05 grams. To me that's good. Now all i have to do is the rest of them. :roll: 3lbs 4 oz of the pins.

Based on my testing it should be about 1/2 oz total recovery. The yield per 100 grams of pins was .4+ using HNO3. Real messy, so I'm going the AP way followed with HNO3. This seems to work best, costs far less and the yield is much higher

Eric, the pins you mentioned are the next 3.25 lbs. They do produce a higher gold quantity and using the same procedure as the first 2.5 lbs of sleeves my recovery increase should be proportionate. I hope,, :lol:

Next
IMG_1302.JPG

Did you test that nitric after you used it immediately following ap?
Geo asked, I didnt see your reply though
You will probably find some gold there. Especially if you didn't incinerate after AP.

Topher_osAUrus said:
You will probably find some gold there. Especially if you didn't incinerate after AP.

Hi Toph

Could you please explain your thinking behind your comments please? How much gold do you think could be in that Nitric and what would lead you to come to that conclusion?

Acid peroxide uses HCl.
Its very hard to rinse residual chlorides with just hot water.
Rinsing with water, then hitting it with nitric will have enough chlorides to make a weak ar (reverse ar, i suppose)

The green solution has a yellow tint to it, or so it appears to me anyways, I am not sure how much gold is in there..but, none the less, I am quite sure theres at least a little bit.

To go from AP to nitric, you must incinerate to drive off the clinging chlorides.

anachronism said:
Topher_osAUrus said:

Hi Toph

Could you please explain your thinking behind your comments please? How much gold do you think could be in that Nitric and what would lead you to come to that conclusion?

Sorry guys for the slow response. Yes I tested the HNO3, and yes it is positive. I fully expected that result. I keep my HNO3 solutions separate from AP and AR. Each type solution has it's own cement tank. I do not mix them.

At this point I'm taking care of the AP in a long term setting tank, so far 1 gallon has produced .3 grams. This AP was used only on these sleeves, nothing else.

My recovery at this point is over 4 grams from the 2.5 lbs and I still have the HNO3 to finish. My original thought, and I'm not sure if I stated it, was about 6 grams from the 2.5 lbs. At the current rate I should be close to that.

The next bit of good news, It seems we have about 100 computers that have been sitting for 15+ years dated around 1986. Just went to the other lot today to look at them. Opened one up, and WOW, 80386DX-16 processors in all of them :eek:

joekbit said:
... Yes I tested the HNO3, and yes it is positive. I fully expected that result. I keep my HNO3 solutions separate from AP and AR. Each type solution has it's own cement tank. I do not mix them.

Good man!

How much gold do you think went into solution on the nitric run?

Latest posts

Back