My 1st Inquarting Process

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tndavid

Started with around 10 grams 10k karat gold. Combined the appropriate amount of Ag to form the 6k alloy. And the cornflakes turned out beautiful!! Got em in my HN03+Di H2O. Watching it work. Soon as the chocolate dipped cornflakes are ready I will digest in AR and precip w/copperas. Then refine using AR and final precip will be smb.
20161008_142709.jpg
20161008_143124.jpg
20161008_164612.jpg

Sounds like a plan. Remember the washing procedure as well. Between both you should have a nice button when your done.

Shark said:
Sounds like a plan. Remember the washing procedure as well. Between both you should have a nice button when your done.
Thanks you shark, definitely gonna use Mr Harold's washing procedure. Here is AR in progress. 14759809577071048994432.jpg

Tndavid said:
Shark said:
Thanks you shark, definitely gonna use Mr Harold's washing procedure. Here is AR in progress. 14759809577071048994432.jpg

I think you missed taking out some of your base metals with your nitric digestion.

I ran the dilute nitric solution on the 6k alloy until the reaction ceased with a new addition of nitric. They turned the chocolate brown color and were easily breakable by rod. I then rinsed the residual silver chloride solution off the shot then started them in ar. Did I miss a step? Hopefully not.

Tndavid said:
I ran the dilute nitric solution on the 6k alloy until the reaction ceased with a new addition of nitric. They turned the chocolate brown color and were easily breakable by rod. I then rinsed the residual silver chloride solution off the shot then started them in ar. Did I miss a step? Hopefully not.

You should have removed your first nitric digestion solution and done 2nd disgestion with nitric on your shot. Your doing ok.

Barren Realms 007 said:
Tndavid said:

You should have removed your first nitric digestion solution and done 2nd disgestion with nitric on your shot. Your doing ok.
I did a pour off the 1st and attempted a second which that's when I noticed the lack of reaction with the nitric. Should I have left the shot in the second solution for a period of time anyways?

Tndavid said:
Barren Realms 007 said:
Tndavid said:

I did a pour off the 1st and attempted a second which that's when I noticed the lack of reaction with the nitric. Should I have left the shot in the second solution for a period of time anyways?

Yes you should have left the second run in longer with some heat added to help it out.

I did have heat on it and no reaction. But I will leave it longer next time for sure. Thanks

Well here is the finished product. 20161009_123416.jpg
And here is some silver I reclaimed after cementing from solution.
20161009_191632.jpg

In our recent absence, I was thinking of the old saying about how best laid plans go wrong. :D

Barren Realms 007 said:
Tndavid said:
Shark said:

I think you missed taking out some of your base metals with your nitric digestion.

But I see it came out pretty good anyway.

Thanks Shark, I appreciate it.. To quote a genius " I love it when a plan comes together" LOL

Shark said:
In our recent absence, I was thinking of the old saying about how best laid plans go wrong. :D

Barren Realms 007 said:
Tndavid said:
Shark said:

But I see it came out pretty good anyway.

Yes it does look pretty good. :)

Nice work.
It is always pleasant to see a newcomer learning and following known procedures for success.

samuel-a said:
Nice work.
It is always pleasant to see a newcomer learning and following known procedures for success.
Thank you. No need to try to reinvent the wheel if its rolling just fine. And "newcomer" is that a step up from newbie?!? Lol

What strength of nitric / water did you use for the parting? Generally it is effective to start with 2 parts DI water to 1 part Nitric Acid. When that acid is spent, decant the acid and replace it with 1:1 acid to DI water. Both should be heated, the second may or may not appear to be reacting but give it time anyway.

It is often necessary to break up the chunks with a stirring rod to help the acid penetrate better. When assaying and the ratio is 3:1 gold to silver, it is often better to roll the inquarted alloy flat before parting for more surface area. This is quite a bit of work for large lots so adding a little extra silver to make the acid penetrate better is the easier route.

4metals said:

What strength of nitric / water did you use for the parting? Generally it is effective to start with 2 parts DI water to 1 part Nitric Acid. When that acid is spent, decant the acid and replace it with 1:1 acid to DI water. Both should be heated, the second may or may not appear to be reacting but give it time anyway.

It is often necessary to break up the chunks with a stirring rod to help the acid penetrate better. When assaying and the ratio is 3:1 gold to silver, it is often better to roll the inquarted alloy flat before parting for more surface area. This is quite a bit of work for large lots so adding a little extra silver to make the acid penetrate better is the easier route.
Your 1st paragraph is exactly what I did with the addition of a few small doses of nitric. And the second didn't have to react long as I checked and the chunks were breakable using my rigid plastic spoon as I don't have a glass stir rod yet. And the reaction ceased. It worked out great as far as free nitric. I only had to add the smallest sprinkle of sulfamic. And thank you for the tip on rolling to add surface area.

I only had to add the smallest sprinkle of sulfamic. And thank you for the tip on rolling to add surface area.

And you killed the nitric off when you were done. Why? The parting is to separate the silver and base metals from the gold, sulfamic is not used in the parting acids.

Back