Anybody out there near San Jose that has some stannous?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drgoodbar

I just picked up a few pounds of sludge from a local company that deals with a lot of gold and platinum. I don't have any stannous chloride and I really don't feel like making it. If anybody is local and I could bring the sludge over. If it tests positive I would be interested in having somebody refine it for me. If this sounds like you let me know. Thank you

We need a few more details to know exactly what you have picked up.
If the company refines then the chances are you have just collected a batch of toxic waste, there are few refineries that wil, give values away.
If they are manufacturing then perhaps you will have values in the sludge as you call it but if so then they will need dissolving before using stannous to check for any values or simply have it assayed.
As I said we need a lot more details to be able to help or advise you.

drgoodbar said:
I just picked up a few pounds of sludge from a local company that deals with a lot of gold and platinum. I don't have any stannous chloride and I really don't feel like making it. If anybody is local and I could bring the sludge over. If it tests positive I would be interested in having somebody refine it for me. If this sounds like you let me know. Thank you

You don't want to throw a few bits of tin solder into some HCL and wait an hour? Ok...

UpdateIMG_20161021_000944.jpgI scraped this off the edges of one of the pans. So this is definitely a pregnant Solution. In response to the question no this is not a refiner this is a place that manufactured ceramic parts with gold on them. And in response to the other question I really don't have anywhere to mix up stannous chloride and I really don't feel like refining it myself. So again if there's anybody local get back to me.

You might get a response if you post where exactly you are or at least a town or state, the USA is a big place.

Do you know if the items were plated in baths or painted with gold paint and then fired?

jason_recliner said:
nickvc said:
You might get a response if you post where exactly you are or at least a town or state, the USA is a big place.
:shock: I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that he's not too far from San Jose, California.

And I thought I was dry..... :D

This is about as cheap as you'll find it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stannous-Chloride-Anhydrous-99-8-1-4-lb-/311723647594?hash=item48942d626a:g:VRcAAOxyoahSWxR~

Or, buy some hi-tin solder and make your own with HCl. About as easy as using the crystals.

Back