reverse osmosis insted of a water still?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinhcase

Supporting Member
I have run through an other £90 LPG tank on my still.
I am kind of fed up of running it all the time.So now is the time to fix of carry on as is for the next six months.
So was looking at the reverse osmosis water purifiers.
Being a Womble it will have to be good second hand.
Has any one advice on which will remove Chlorine to the same extent as distillation.
It seems a good way to go but I would not want to buy a unit and find it was incapable of producing deionized water of a high enough purity to work my silver.
What would you buy?
Regards
J

For water you are going to use for a silver cell or digesting silver, you could add a bit of silver nitrate to remove the chloride. The silver chloride can then be filtered off and saved up until you have enough to process back into silver metal.
The water will be contaminated with silver and nitrate ions after the cleaning, so it's only good for processes where you dissolve silver.

I'm happy to live in a place where the tap water is chloride free so I have all the water I need on tap. :D

Göran

g_axelsson said:
For water you are going to use for a silver cell or digesting silver, you could add a bit of silver nitrate to remove the chloride. The silver chloride can then be filtered off and saved up until you have enough to process back into silver metal.
The water will be contaminated with silver and nitrate ions after the cleaning, so it's only good for processes where you dissolve silver.

I'm happy to live in a place where the tap water is chloride free so I have all the water I need on tap. :D

Göran
Thank you Göran.
I use silver nitrate solution on glassware before I use it.
One day I will have an aria and glassware just for silver.
I do try and keep one set of glass just for Ag,but no matter how hard I try That fresh looking beaker always produces a little snow,
I had not considered using it for silver solution as the main need for clean water is in rinsing the cement or crystals.
It was not until I started trying to remove unwanted compounds that I understood how hard it is to do effectively.
You never seem to get them all just reduce it to a level you can live with .

Back