I need help

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COOPdawg007$$

Hello my name is David, I have 2lbs of gold leaf, and the bottles say 22kt gold on them. I took to a very reputable jewelry store they told me it was gold but wanted to take all of it in their lab to test it all, I said no.... I then took to a pawn shop they put it in a machine, and told me it wasn't gold but had other metals in it, I want to process the gold out of it and smelt down into round coins or bars, but never done anything like this befors. I have hydrochloric acid bleach peroxide, and sodium nitrate, but what should I do first? To extract the gold? Please help me if you can

Where are you located? If it is what you say it is you have in excess of $30k in value. It may be better for you to go to a refiner who can melt and assay it for you.

If it's in bottles, it must be flake. Most of the flake I've seen is fake gold, a copper alloy containing no gold. However, flake is available in real karat gold although it's not used nearly as much as real gold leaf sheet.

If it's fake, all or most of a small sample will dissolve in nitric acid diluted 1 to 1 with distilled water. This will result in a blue or blue-green colored solution. If it is real 22K leaf, nitric acid won't touch it.

Does the 2 pounds of weight include the bottles? If so, you might find that the bottle weights make up most of the total weight.

Photos of the leaf and the bottles might be helpful.

Back