copper ore extraction

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamshidamri

im from tanzania due to some research i have seen green rock which contain copper..i have tried to use charcoal to smelt it as i have seen in youtube....but it seems charcol doesnt take long time...only small amount can be extrated enough to prove that there is copper....u can say i have to use coke...i dont have money to import them....any way is there any chemical way i can use...?

copper ore, Roast the ore in air to form copper oxide, then use a good flux (carbon included)and use a carbon cover over the melt to minimize air or oxygen contact with molten metal.

Another option is to use a liquid extraction process putting copper into solution and then precipitating it back out, or using electrolysis to reduce the copper ions back to elemental copper.

Most small copper operations using oxide ores (usually green malachite or blue azurite) are run as a sulfuric acid leach followed by precipitation of the copper onto scrap steel.

Many other variations are used by larger operations but for a small operation with limited capital the above leaching method is the best option.

There are a lot of papers and books detailing the above process available online or in hard copy.

Deano

Back