What a find! I was surprised!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm going through an order of 513 grams of scrap silver I got yesterday and find this... not sure why someone would ruin this beauty by fashioning a ring out of it, but wow! It's a 1/10 Oz fine gold 5 dollar piece!

Attachments

• 20170406_231648.jpg
    20170406_231648.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 563
  • 20170406_231755.jpg
    20170406_231755.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 563
anachronism said:
Refining Rick said:
Does it say "replica" and "copy" on it in the first picture?

It certainly does Rick.

So its most likely a copper nickel alloy (or maybe brass) that may or may not be gold plated (if its not gold plating it is likely titanium oxide plating - like on drill bits)

Kurt

I have found a number of "Replica" Coins in jewellery.
One very ruff replication of a Krugerrand in 375Au.
Also replica Sovereigns in low karat gold.
If you are wearing it as jewellery you do not want full 22 karat or it will rub off like a crayon every where.
Worth checking. Hope for the best, Be prepared for the worst.

I haven't tested it, but it does have a messy engraving on it that says "copy." I don't have any nitric so I'm taking it to a buddy of mine who's way more knowledgeable than I am considering I'm still a noob. I'm still surprised as to why someone would go through the trouble of all this. Thanks everyone! It was any ugly ring, but the more I study it the more it does look fake. Well, I was excited for about 30 minutes anyways. Haha. I'll keep on keepin on.

Nice finds are out there. I for one am now hooked on the little bags off "gold" jewelry at yard sales and thrift shops. You know the 1 buck a bag stuff. I have found enough karat gold in them to pay for them many times over. Usually its that small odd bit in the bottom that you see and just know. Once I spied a small gold cross in one that looked nice. Turns out I was right. A little under a gram of 14K, but not only that in the same bag was a 14K gold and pearl pendant that weighed 2.5 grams without the pearl. Paid $2 for the bag. Even scored a 14K scorpion tie tack at Goodwill for $1 once. Then give away all the "non suspected gold" jewelry to the kids and crafty people I know.
Deals and finds are out there.

Rick, awesome finds buddy! I've only been doing this for 3 months now, but I plan on doing that exact thing. Gonna do some yard sale hopping in the coming months. Even going panning for gold up on Contrary creek and it's tributaries this month with a guy who knows alot more about this stuff than I do. Gonna keep my fingers crossed and will definitely post pics of any finds I come across to share with you guys. This hobby has been a saving grace from the Ptsd and I can't get enough of it!

DylanDownright84 said:
Anyone interested in telling me what to look for when using a precious metals acid test? Seen a few videos, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for and didn't get any instructions.

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=1765

DylanDownright84 said:
Anyone interested in telling me what to look for when using a precious metals acid test? Seen a few videos, but I'm still not sure what I'm looking for and didn't get any instructions.
The best thing you can do is buy a set of test needle's.
They will give you a standard sample from 8k to 22k.
Then get your self some plated junk and have at it.
The difference is quite obvious once you have seen it.but is quite complicated to explain.
I still use my test needle's from the department of standards to check scratch test's as the acid may deteriorate but the test alloys always stay the same.

Thanks Justin. I'm currently about 5 minutes from rinsing a small batch of pins and plated e-scrap from an AP mixture. I've got some gold filled scrap sitting in a similar mixture and it appears that the filled stuff is actually going into the AP. I see some gold particles floating, but there's alot of black stuff in the mix. Gonna search the forum for some more information. Hope I can find some. Not entirely sure what I'm dealing with, but as always, my fingers are crossed.

DylanDownright84 said:
Thanks Justin. I'm currently about 5 minutes from rinsing a small batch of pins and plated e-scrap from an AP mixture. I've got some gold filled scrap sitting in a similar mixture and it appears that the filled stuff is actually going into the AP. I see some gold particles floating, but there's alot of black stuff in the mix. Gonna search the forum for some more information. Hope I can find some. Not entirely sure what I'm dealing with, but as always, my fingers are crossed.
Just a little bit of info. If you have access to nitric, and forgive me if you have mentioned otherwise, but a dilute nitric nuke will work wonders with your gold filled material.

Tndavid said:
DylanDownright84 said:
Just a little bit of info. If you have access to nitric, and forgive me if you have mentioned otherwise, but a dilute nitric nuke will work wonders with your gold filled material.
I would agree,AP is great for ram fingers,but nitric is my go to first leach for base metals.

You should be able to access the process via the search engine. I don't mind giving you some pointers under 1 condition. That condition being that you have read all our safety topics and waste disposal topics as well. But then again I'm new as well and I'm sure there are other way more experienced gentlemen on the board that may lend a hand as well. Show your safe,responsible and not trying to reinvent the will and you will be ok here. These are great great people!!!!

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate your help! I've already purchased 5 boxes of baking soda for the disposal process. I read somewhere that a rusty nail can neutralize the garbage, but I can't recall. Here's some pics of what I'm doing as we speak. And sadly I have no access to nitric. I'm using poor man's aqua regia. Hcl 31.45 and h202. The gold filled is still in the mix, that's the pic of the bottom. The e-scrap are the pics of the jar with the unbleached coffee filter with the gray sludge in it in which there's also the gold foils.

Attachments

• 20170411_195714.jpg
    20170411_195714.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 299
  • 1491956257903.jpg
    1491956257903.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 299
Would the bleach and Hcl route be the best way to do the gold filled? I'm gonna give it a try tomorrow when I have more light and also, the most important part, I can do it outside of the shed so I can avoid the fumes. I have a ventilator, but I'm not taking any chances.

Don't take any chances and you need more than baking soda for the waste disposal. Please read up some more before you end up with a bunch of waste. Hcl and h2o2 is AP. Poor man's AR is another thing all together. I've never ran gf using anything but Nitric or the proverbial poor man's version. As you read you'll learn the processes and chemicals to use with each. I'm gonna save you some lectures and tell you to use the search function and download hokes from Dave's (frugalrefiner) sig line. You'll pick it up if you are willing to cover your beakers and start the reading. Trust me I started the same way. I asked questions, what do I do here what do I do know. And thankfully they didn't tell me. They gave me the opportunity to learn as will you. Give it a chance and if you need any help afterwards let us know. There is a plethora of knowledge here. These gentlemen have put in years and years to give us this wonderful place. You just gotta go get it!!! It's not about reaching the destination, it's the journey getting there. :D Good luck and be safe my man.

Back