Muradic an bleach used to pull gold off dishes distilled water used to clean up then used way too much stump removeis

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonylee

I was listening to the instructions and someone else and used Reddick acid and bleach to pull gold off of plates and I use distilled water to rinse the plates now I've got then I put stump remover in it and measured and never got the green bubbly solution that you supposed to get I am fact now I have clear solution at about five gallons of it what can I do

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not too sure exactly what you used but I will assume you used HCl and bleach to remove the gold details from pottery, if this is what you did and the gold was removed it will be in your solution, the one point to remember is that there is very little gold so unless you did a large amount of plates the gold could be very hard to see, if you suspect that you still have gold in your solution test using stannous chloride, tin dissolved in HCl which will show you if you have any gold in your solution. If you do not know how to test I would suggest using the search function.

Tony

First, HCL and bleach is a strong but short lived reaction. In my opinion only useful for gold foils in small quantities. The chloride / chlorine degrades very fast in the form of chlorine gas. Yes the deadly stuff used in WW1. Make no mistake about it, it can and will kill you if you breath to much of it.

the other factor is the material.

It may have been glazed over. So they make the china, plates, or what ever with gold trace and pretty stuff on it. then they re-fire it with a glaze overlay shielding the gold and other pretty decorations so they don't wear off with use..

Like the post before me, check to see if the gold color is gone, then check your fluid with stannous chloride.

Back