PM Safe

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colu41

I'm looking for a fireproof safe to store my Metals, ammo, and maybe a few of my pistols. Anyone have any suggestions?
I'm looking for something no more than 3 foot tall. Preferably around 2'. With as many shelves as I can get. Lock style doesn't matter to me, whether its electronic, a dial, or just key.

First of all, there is no such thing as a fireproof safe. There are fire ratings that specify time and temperature. Exceed either parameter, and contents are subject to heat damage, including paper currency burning to ash.

My personal prejudice, when it comes to home safes, leans heavily toward Liberty. Probably the best nationally marketed line of home safes. There are better, but most of those are smaller, regionally marketed brands. There are also fabricators that build home safes to spec. Some are good. Some are not.

When choosing a home safe, you will have to make compromises. Most of these compromises will be in terms of cost vs. quality in every feature of the safe. If you want something you can wheel from one room to another without assistance, you will need a safe made of lighter, thinner materials. This would make the safe easier to steal or be damaged by thieves, in addition to reducing the fire rating. If you want something with a higher fire rating, or more tamper resistant, you choices will be heavier, thicker, stronger steel with heavier, thicker heat shielding, making the installation much more permanent.

Another compromise may come from installation location in the home. Mounting a safe in a standard wood framed closet requires a far lighter safe than one that will be bolted to a concrete floor.

As you can probably surmise, without knowing all the specifics peculiar to your situation, it would be difficult for me to suggest a particular safe.

If you have a Cabela’s nearby, most of their stores carry a variety of safes from Liberty, and some from other brands. Also, ask at other sporting goods, gun shops, and coin shops. They may have other opinions. In addition, they may know of a regional safe maker that has a better product for your needs than the national brands, such as Liberty.

Time for that first cup o’ joe.

Back