copper tin nitrate

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Copper Tin Nitrate isn't a chemical - can you be more specific please as to what you mean so we can help more?

Jon

Jon, judging by his other post, he has used Nitric acid to try and strip tin plating from copper wire.

Jan, if that is the case, the Tin has likely turned into metastannic acid, a white mess at the bottom of the container ? the Copper will be in the solution, this is now super poisonous to you, plants, aquatic life etc.

The copper can be 'cemented' out of solution with iron, meaning that if you put a piece of iron into the solution, the iron will go into solution and the copper will 'come out' as a fine powder on the surface of the iron. You then have a poisonous iron solution to replace your poisonous Copper solution.

As per my recommendations in your other thread, this is not a good idea. "Nie 'n goeie idee nie"

kernels said:
Jon, judging by his other post, he has used Nitric acid to try and strip tin plating from copper wire.

Jan, if that is the case, the Tin has likely turned into metastannic acid, a white mess at the bottom of the container ? the Copper will be in the solution, this is now super poisonous to you, plants, aquatic life etc.

The copper can be 'cemented' out of solution with iron, meaning that if you put a piece of iron into the solution, the iron will go into solution and the copper will 'come out' as a fine powder on the surface of the iron. You then have a poisonous iron solution to replace your poisonous Copper solution.

As per my recommendations in your other thread, this is not a good idea. "Nie 'n goeie idee nie"
Thank i understand, Haven't done it yet was just asking from my thoughts

I believe your best option is to sell it as it is. There's a reason its only worth 2/3 clean copper.

Even insulated wire is easier to manually strip to clean copper, mechanically.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using tapatalk

Ahh thanks Kernel and Jason. I had to look around at other threads to get the whole picture 8)

Back