E-scrap Take apart tools

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

Question for those that do a lot of take apart.

Favorite bit supplier?
Favorite gun?

I went from black and decker to an 18v dewalt driver, and it's a magical change. I'm using the multi bit set from harbor freight, but also have a huge assortment of apex and others...but I'm finding that I really like 6" long #2 and #1 phillips with a round shaft. The only place I've found these bits is mcmaster carr, unless I want to pay hardware store prices.

I am thinking about buying a second driver just to keep loaded with the second most common (usually a torx).

Have you invested in ergonomics? Spring balancer?

Gloves are my next purchase, those boards and cases tear up your hands.

i use a Ryobi 8-volt handheld lithium ion drill. It has an adjustable chuck and is light weight. But most importantly, it has a higher RPM rate than most other small handhelds. I value a lower drill weight (as opposed to my 18-volt dewalt drill) as much as the higher RPM, so this was a perfect balance. Battery life is a little short, but you cant have it all :p

I have 4 dewalt cordless drills with different bits in each one so I don't have to waist time changing bits. I also have a bench top drill press at the same tear down bench I use. The bits I use the most come from a mini screw driver kit Home Depot sold that was made by Husky. One kit has phillips, flat tip and the other kit has torx in it. The most common hand tools I use are flat tip screw driver, standard pliers and side cutters. I've gone through quite a few pair of side cutters, I like Channel Lock brand side cutters, the ones with blue grips.

I also buy the rubber coated cloves and wear one on my left hand, it's the hand that holds every thing and takes all the abuse.

My most valued tool is this guy...
1515205310803-66400259.jpg

I bought six 1/4" driver sets on clearance a couple years ago for about 3 dollars each. They run from the tiniest little torx and Phillips up to #2 Phillips. They have served me very well, especially with a lot of the old gadgets I get to bring home from the hospital.

I guess my next favorite is just good hammer! :p

anachronism said:
My favourite tool (cos I am evil) is my plasma cutter. Sheer ownage. 8)
That would be my favorite tool too if I had one... it's been on my wish list for a while now.

Until then my favorite tool is a pair of banged up heavy duty side cutter, dismantling anything from cables, soft iron to nuts and bolts. I rather grab that one instead of a wrench.

For more heavy duty I'm using a 1 kilo sledgehammer and chisel, cutting bolts or knocking out the copper core in CPU coolers.
All frustration from dealing with the modern society is just gone after a good workout with the sledgehammer. :twisted:
... for my mineral collecting I'm also using a 5 kilo sledge hammer, the 1 kilo is for precision work.

Göran

I may try to brag about my ESAB, but, I'm not too much of a braggart.

My favorite screwdriver is this $9.99USD jewel from Harbor Freight Tools:

Don't laugh too much! :evil:

I prefer it because it has a low RPM coupled with a decent torque. I don't know about everyone else, but, all the screws I run into while doing recovery have very short threaded shafts so the low RPM doesn't bother me.

At that price point, you could buy 4 or 5 of them and outfit them with different drill heads.

James

Attachments

• cordless screwdriver.jpg
    cordless screwdriver.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 74
Back