What a Haul!!! Amature Hour

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

Well, if nothing else, this will get my bins emptied for the time being. I need to start processing more material instead of just letting it pile up.

Hopefully from this point forward it will all be done with gaylords and LTL trucking....because this is just stupid.

It started out nicely stacked towards the front, then I started getting cold.

Let this be a lesson to all of you who are just starting out. Set up the organization early.

Attachments

• IMG_3341.JPG
    IMG_3341.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 255
silversaddle1 said:
Yeah, maybe it's time for a truck!

lol...I've got one, but it's fuel economy leaves something to be desired.

Honestly, I need a fork truck, because then I'll just fill a gaylord, then use it to load the gaylord into the truck, then take it to the freight depot.

As it is now though, I only put insurance on the truck when I'm using it, which is mostly the summer months. I've got a perfect driving record and they still want $80 a month to insure it at the lowest possible coverage.

Maybe a small utility trailer would work better. Then you can unhook it and go food shopping, and still have room for groceries in your vehicle (besides not having to carry around all that weight).

CMM said:
Maybe a small utility trailer would work better. Then you can unhook it and go food shopping, and still have room for groceries in your vehicle (besides not having to carry around all that weight).

That’s the perfect scenario but we all know the stuff will end up in the car as well as the trailer, we just can’t help ourselves :roll:

nickvc said:
CMM said:

That’s the perfect scenario but we all know the stuff will end up in the car as well as the trailer, we just can’t help ourselves :roll:

DING DING DING!

I have many trailers.

I've got a small four wheeler trailer that has two gaylords on it already, that are fully loaded...I'm well over the weight capacity of the trailer. I keep dumping power supplies in the gaylords too! lol

Here's the best part...in the US, if your loaded trailer / truck combination weights more than 10,001 pounds (which isn't hard), you can't cross state lines without it being a commercial truck...which is a lot of extra paperwork, licensing, regulation, etc.

An enclosed snowmobile trailer is the way to go.

snoman701 said:
nickvc said:
CMM said:

DING DING DING!

I have many trailers.

I've got a small four wheeler trailer that has two gaylords on it already, that are fully loaded...I'm well over the weight capacity of the trailer. I keep dumping power supplies in the gaylords too! lol

Here's the best part...in the US, if your loaded trailer / truck combination weights more than 10,001 pounds (which isn't hard), you can't cross state lines without it being a commercial truck...which is a lot of extra paperwork, licensing, regulation, etc.

LOL. Until you get caught. Then the fines will cost more than the compliance. We cross state line so we are well aware of all the crap one has to go thru. Say you get caught pulling a snowmobile trailer full of scrap. Say you have crossed state lines. Well, they sure can't force you to open your trailer, but they sure can weigh you, right there on the spot. And if you are overweight, then they can ask you to open your trailer. You don't have to, but it's gonna cost you big time either way. Just for an example, since you are over 10 and across state lines, you need to file your UCR every year. it's 75 buck a year and you get nothing for it. If you don't have it, automatic $200.00 fine, plus from there they will just have at you. No CDL, no inspection, no DOT number, no health card, no pre trip, and on and on. Don't risk it, get legal and do it right as they are really starting to crack down on the small guys.

silversaddle1 said:
snoman701 said:
nickvc said:
CMM said:

DING DING DING!

I have many trailers.

LOL. Until you get caught. Then the fines will cost more than the compliance. We cross state line so we are well aware of all the crap one has to go thru. Say you get caught pulling a snowmobile trailer full of scrap. Say you have crossed state lines. Well, they sure can't force you to open your trailer, but they sure can weigh you, right there on the spot. And if you are overweight, then they can ask you to open your trailer. You don't have to, but it's gonna cost you big time either way. Just for an example, since you are over 10 and across state lines, you need to file your UCR every year. it's 75 buck a year and you get nothing for it. If you don't have it, automatic $200.00 fine, plus from there they will just have at you. No CDL, no inspection, no DOT number, no health card, no pre trip, and on and on. Don't risk it, get legal and do it right as they are really starting to crack down on the small guys.

No...I completely agree. The most effective way for me to cross state lines would be in a cube truck under 26000 lbs. no trailer. Still dot, medical, but then it's just the simple cdl that I have. Most expensive part for me would be commercial insurance.

I just keep my loads manageable, otherwise I'll send them ltl.

I don't like all the trucking laws. If I was moving the loads you do, or planned to, I'd get everything in order.

The two gaylords were a mistake. They are low grade boards, and my cost to sort and haul pretty much kills the profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a tidbit of info that will fit right into this conversation. Don't ask for state minimum insurance, believe it or not, it costs more. Had an agent inform me of this last year, you get no extras and for just a little more coverage you actually save money. Insurance in my eyes is just another tax but it has to be paid.

The reason I say that is my dad paid insurance every year he drove, 59 years to be exact. No accidents, no claims. Thats a lot of money.

Mike

With respect to the insurance, most people or companies involved in an accident will only sue to the policy limits. Many folks ask for more, but unless there is some serious negligence, you would more than likely be advised to only sue up to the limits. It has been my experience that as you up the coverage, premiums go up. If the premiums don't go up, you are being short changed somewhere else in the policy.

The lady told us that asking for state minimum is like saying you don't value what you have. She said insurance companies put together these state minimum bundles and decided to put a higher price on them. Kind of like charging the poor more for a loan. Its all B.S. I understand there are people out there that cause problems, but that doesn't mean that all people that are poor are a risk.

I have known so many people that really deserved a break and never got one, and then ones who didn't deserve anything was given the world. Just my 2 cents.

Mike

Back