Gold filled recovery

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmatch83

Hello again, still new here but figure ill start posting more now.

I am just starting out and still learning but I got to say im having fun so far. My biggest problems are fining nitric at a reasonable price and not rushing. Thank you to all who have posted threads, i have answered alot of questions searching through them.

Now for the topic at hand. I found a local jewelry shop that will sell scrap to me for the amount that the refiners pay them. Now unfortunately my funds have been tight since Christmas so I have only been buying gold filled at the moment and trying small batches of 50 grams to find a precess that works for me.

I know that nitric is the preferred method but is there any issues that come with doing the ap method? I ask because I work 7 days a week so free time is rare, and being able to setup a batch and check in once a day is convenient although im sure not ideal.

Thank you everyone for tolerating my sleep deprived ramblings.

AP, or copper (ii) chloride leach, is primarily useful for removing foils from e-scrap, or similar, and is very slow at handling even these thin films.
If you want to handle karat it's not much use to you.

Since you are still new, and because nitric is so hazardous in inexperienced hands, perhaps you might like to consider making your own, of a low concentration. You will find Lazersteve's cold nitric recipe in the general reactions list. The only reason I even suggest considering it is that since it makes a lower concentration, it will therefore work slower, and it can be a little more forgiving, and easier to store.

However I wouldn't really recommend leaving many reactions totally unattended either, until you understand exactly how they will progress over time. Some will slow to a stop while others can runaway.

Thank you for your reply

I was given a nitric recipe by another member here, i just need to gather materials and get time. I have made small batches of nitric but best case was 150ml or so from potassium nitrate and sulfuric acid then distillation. Works well but takes alot of time to mix, distill, and clean up. Unfortunately time isnt something i have in abundance right now. The work thing keeps getting in the way.

Back