Inventing The Microprocessor: The Intel 4004

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimdoc

Inventing The Microprocessor: The Intel 4004

https://hackaday.com/2018/01/29/inventing-the-microprocessor-the-intel-4004/

I was privileged to tour several IC mfg and packaging operations at Intel, AMD, AMS, Nat'l Semiconductor, and other Silicon Valley IC companies back in the early to mid 70s. These companies were my customers. I had developed a method of taking their reject assembled packages, usually in the form of the photo above, removing the lid and chip, selectively stripping the brazes and plating from the package without damaging any other areas, such as the Ag/Cu braze holding the legs on, and replating the gold. These customers then took these reconditioned packages, mounted a new chip in them, and sold them as brand new assemblies. I most likely reconditioned some packages identical to the one in the photo, although most I did were 40 leads. I could care less what chips they contained. I was only interested in the packages. I haven't changed. The package is where the gold is, not the chip. Screw the chip. I'm a refiner with zero interest in the electronics and I'm too damned old to change.

I love the "chip". I love the history of how they were developed.
That may have something to do with studying computer hardware
architecture in college.

I have thick skin formed and fashioned after years in sales. Not everyone
shares the same opinion I have about the value of preserving various chips
for posterity sake, so your post helps me understand your position and the
position of many refiners who routinely "screw the chip". This is a gold
refining forum and I completely understand that.

However, anyone interested in "preserving the chip", please feel free to PM
me with pictures and details of what you think might be worth preserving. 8)

Im with you Glorycloud. If I can get this posted, the pic above reminded me of the first gold cap I ever got. While it may only contain a dollar or two of gold, I wouldn't sell it for a $100. I actually found this little guy before I found the forum.

Mike

Attachments

• GC1.jpg
    GC1.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 53
  • GC4.jpg
    GC4.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 53
  • GC3.jpg
    GC3.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 53
  • GC2.jpg
    GC2.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 53
That's a beauty there. Analog Devices AD536A. Not a CPU
but it's nice to looks at. 8)

http://www.analog.com/en/products/linear-products/rms-to-dc-converters/ad536a.html#product-overview

Latest posts

Back