It almost time to refine

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmatch83

My wait is almost over, its getting warm enough to start planning my first real batch to refine. I have been stocking up on materials to process all winter and spring is almost here.

I ordered my first bottle of nitric today. I have 30g of 10k and about a pound of sterling waiting. I know its not a huge batch for some but got to start somewhere. I am still having problems finding a local source of e scrap but was lucky to find a few small shops that will sell for what the refiner pays so not a bad deal. Things are starting to look up again.

Will do. Cant help but be a lil excited for warm weather. Gardens to till and gold to recover/refine.

Post some pictures along the way. If you think that isn't much my first run of karat gold was only .5 gram of 14 k chain. I sure did enjoy it after messing with low grade pins though.

To me its alot but looking at others results it looks tiny. Guess its all a matter of perspective in the end. On a bottle makers wages I cant buy as much as I would like to but it will all add up.

Rmatch83 said:
To me its alot but looking at others results it looks tiny. Guess its all a matter of perspective in the end. On a bottle makers wages I cant buy as much as I would like to but it will all add up.

Doesn't matter how much it is. 8) 8)

Rmatch,

Its good to write out a refining plan. From the cleaning in the beginning all the way to the cleaning at the end and especially waste treatment. Make it step by step and write it out like a story. I remember my first refine, I was really anxious and stopped and started a couple times. I wish I would have thought about writing it out in the first place. I do now with every project.

Once you've written it out, read it and re read it a few times. Doing this will really help, I promise. It is also good to have in place a plan for spills and accidents. Good luck.

Mike

That makes sense im still gathering material to run at the moment. My first goal is a half ounce from the 10k scrap then my other project is a run of ceramic cpus, im aiming for a 4g recovery. Although im still looking for more material to add to the stash. Im guessing I might have 3g with what I have on hand, but I might be way off. I have 3 gold top k5s not in the picture.

Attachments

• 20180320_181730.jpg
    20180320_181730.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 191
I'd only bank on 2g with those procs and an additional 3 x K5 gold tops. If you get more it's a bonus but you have some really low grade chips there in addition to the good stuff.

The SL254 PPro is worth between $25 to $35 for collectors. Just saying... :wink:

Göran

received_1886996047979810.jpeg

Well I solved my nitric problem today. Got a text from the stockroom supervisor that my package was delivered. Now its time to get to work. I have my karat gold and sterling silver all weighed up ready to melt. Hoping to melt and make shot tonight then start the first round of nitric in the morning.

20180329_135901.jpg

Here is my progress as of now. I can make another post with all the pictures if people want me to. You guys know the process so maybe youll aee something I should do differently.

20180402_110849.jpg

Rmatch83 said:
That makes sense im still gathering material to run at the moment. My first goal is a half ounce from the 10k scrap then my other project is a run of ceramic cpus, im aiming for a 4g recovery. Although im still looking for more material to add to the stash. Im guessing I might have 3g with what I have on hand, but I might be way off. I have 3 gold top k5s not in the picture.
maybe you can get not only gold but also a bit of palladium with that ceramic processor.

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

You are completely correct on the gloves. I was fine untill I got in a hurry and got careless handling the filters. Not a mistake I intend to make again. I didnt get the filters rinsed well because I was out of space in the beaker. Then after I got home from work I got in a hurry to pick out a few pieces of gold that didnt desolve.

I need bigger beakers and not to refine when I dont have time to finish.

joandinan said:
Rmatch83 said:
maybe you can get not only gold but also a bit of palladium with that ceramic processor.

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

I have been wondering about the possible palladium but im not whole process on it. I figure ill go a nitric treetment and leave the silver from the ceramics separate. Untill there is enough to get a decent bead.

Back