A mysterious list

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steyr223

My friend just sent me a list of chemicals and asked me what I made of it
At first with all the meshes I thought someone is making sand paper :D
Any chemists or someone who could make sense of this would be appreciated
Thanks steyr223 rob

Attachments

• 20_1521599078487.jpeg
    20_1521599078487.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 132
mls26cwru said:
it kind looks like someone making their own fireworks...

The first ten items and a couple others could be used for fireworks, the others less so. Some would be more useful for organic synthesis such as the piperonal, bromoethane, and sodium borohydride. My guess is someone is getting rid of miscellaneous chemicals from a home lab, and made a list of what they’re trying to sell or get rid of?

What an odd list.

Sodium borohydride is really useful in refining! Great for converting AgCl to Ag metal virtually instantly. Same with the PGMs. It's basically the best reducing agent gram for gram that isn't gaseous hydrogen or nasty carbon monoxide. A lot of people use it to waste water treat because it gets every heavy metal that isn't zinc.

The piperonal is also known as heliotrope, after a flower which smells very similar to it.
http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/2012/06/perfumery-material-heliotrope.html

It is often used in fragrances because it has a very pleasing odor but it can be misused as a drug precursor. My advice on that one is take it and mix it with vanillin and then add to soy wax and make candles for the house. Alternatively, I used to be involved with a company in Las Angeles making designer fragrances with a huge floral bent--they would probably take this off of your hands for you and pay you for it.

The antimony trisulfate is probably Sb2S3 (antimony trisulfide). That is most certainly used in fireworks.

i was searching around for those last ones and i stumbled across a couple reactions that supposedly produce propellants of some sort... it was interesting to read about some of those chemicals.

Lou said:
Sodium borohydride is really useful in refining! Great for converting AgCl to Ag metal virtually instantly. Same with the PGMs. It's basically the best reducing agent gram for gram that isn't gaseous hydrogen or nasty carbon monoxide. A lot of people use it to waste water treat because it gets every heavy metal that isn't zinc.

where about's would you get this cheaply? I did a quick look and it running $200/kg... is that about the right price?

Back