Gold filled marking question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmatch83

So I went in today and picked up 41g of gold filled lockets. After stripping out the trash I found one that wasnt marked as I would expect for gold filled. It looks like its marked AA 585 is a marking that im not aware of or did I just have a very lucky day?

20180323_103131.jpg

20180323_103109-0.jpg

Thats what I figured but didnt know about the AA before the 585. Guess I need to run back in and talk to the owner of the shop.

I dont have anything with me at the moment, but ill grab a file and put a drop of nitric on it to see. It weighed in at 3.8g so if its 14k I owe a lil more than the .80 cents a gram I paid.

You wouldn't believe how much karat can find it's way into GF.
Most karat mixed with GF usually won't have any markings at all.

Palladium said:
You wouldn't believe how much karat can find it's way into GF.
Most karat mixed with GF usually won't have any markings at all.

I picked up 151 grams of GF last night and got one 12k gold ear ring, a tiny one at that. Out of 123 grams I got in today, I just took out a pair of cuff links marked 10K. I have already made good on the large lot to cover the plated items instead of returning the ear ring. The small lot was from several sources and I have no way of knowing who the cuff links actually came from. Those two finds seemed really odd, but on the previous two lots I found several items unmarked and ran them separate, the 4 pieces alone returned .3 grams of clean gold. Sometimes curiosity don't kill the cat, :D

Do you buy the filled gold pieces from Jewelers? Is it common for them to sell it?

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

rickzeien said:
Do you buy the filled gold pieces from Jewelers? Is it common for them to sell it?

Most of mine come from yard sales, flea markets and certain kinds of thrift stores. I do buy some from a gold buyer, but I also process some for him as well. I have known most of my sources for many years, just from working with them in other areas. Much of my computer scrap came from the shop where I bought my computers for years. The thrift shop type I look for are the small ones, what I term "Mom and Pop" type shops. Again I buy gold filled at a couple of them. And again, they were people I have known for a very long time. I also spent some time convincing them to buy it, as their normal gold buyer doesn't. One of my main sources is a coin dealer that I have known since the early 1990's that also buys gold and silver. Since I have been working his gold filled for him, he has started questioning me about doing some of his silver as well. Soon as I have this next lot ready, we will be discussing that as well.

Some of my advice, become a bit OCD about it, talk to everyone all the time looking for sources, while being a bit cautious as well. Some good sources come from some rather odd places.

Shark said:
rickzeien said:

Most of mine come from yard sales, flea markets and certain kinds of thrift stores. I do buy some from a gold buyer, but I also process some for him as well. I have known most of my sources for many years, just from working with them in other areas. Much of my computer scrap came from the shop where I bought my computers for years. The thrift shop type I look for are the small ones, what I term "Mom and Pop" type shops. Again I buy gold filled at a couple of them. And again, they were people I have known for a very long time. I also spent some time convincing them to buy it, as their normal gold buyer doesn't. One of my main sources is a coin dealer that I have known since the early 1990's that also buys gold and silver. Since I have been working his gold filled for him, he has started questioning me about doing some of his silver as well. Soon as I have this next lot ready, we will be discussing that as well.

Some of my advice, become a bit OCD about it, talk to everyone all the time looking for sources, while being a bit cautious as well. Some good sources come from some rather odd places.
Thank you for the advice.

All my gold filled comes from a jewelry/coin store not that far from me. They are one a a small handful of ahops that are willing to sell. I have only done small test batches to get the process down so far but as soon as my nitric gets here I have half a pound waiting. Maybe there will be more surprises in the pile. I sorted it out tonight and found about 85g of unmarked chains in the pile.

I never look for karat in the first step. After a nitric wash to remove the base metals any karat mixed in will be easily identified and removed. Most times i just carry in on over to ar. If there is anything left after that what is left will show up as a crusted piece in the final filter residues.

Back