Calcium Hydroxide questions plus AgCl conversion

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grelko

I've been reading over many things lately and had some questions that I wasn't sure about. I didn't want to make a new thread for each of these questions, but a moderator can split them up if needed.

I have a large bag of slaked lime "Calcium Hydroxide" in the garage that I was going to use to neutralize my waste solutions when I get around to it.

I'll most likely use the HCl +Aluminum conversion in this thread for any AgCl. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=732&hilit=hcl+aluminum+silver+chloride I get scrap Aluminum quite often.

My questions are...

If I use the HCl + Aluminum conversion, after the Aluminum is dissolved, can I drop it out as powder using Calcium Hydroxide to neutralize the solution? (The same way I would treat waste solutions) Afterwards, I could make some Aluminum bars, pound it into a sheet and re-use to convert more AgCl.

I was wondering if this would work also.

If I use HCl on silver mylars, since the silver is so thin, it should turn into AgCl right?

If so, can I use Calcium Hydroxide with Karo "or sugar", instead of Sodium Hydroxide and Karo to convert the AgCl back to silver?

Will the HCl dissolve the Mylar itself, or just remove the silver?

Edit - I thought this might work, because of this thread. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14623&p=230303&hilit=silver+keyboard+hcl#p230303 At the very end of it I noticed comment.
FrugalRefiner said:
But this thread is about keyboard mylars, which are silver. AR of any type or HCl/bleach will not dissolve the silver. They will turn it into insoluble silver chloride.

Dave

Another question,

Is it possible to remove the green mask from circuit boards using Calcium Hydroxide instead of Sodium Hydroxide?

If so, can I filter out the green mask afterwards and use the leftover Calcium Hydroxide for converting AgCl?

Unfortunately, Ca hydroxide is slightly soluble, so the answer is "too slow". However I assume in the dry state it can be melted with AgCl to get silver directly.

Lino1406 said:
Unfortunately, Ca hydroxide is slightly soluble, so the answer is "too slow". However I assume in the dry state it can be melted with AgCl to get silver directly.

I'm guessing that you mean the conversion from AgCl to silver metal is too slow?

Exactly how slow is "too slow"?

Did you mean dry AgCl or Calcium Hydroxide?

Lino1406 said:
1.Too slow to be practical
2.Both

I do this as a hobby, so I could let it sit there for a few days/weeks, or would I need to stir it the entire time? If I would need to do that,then it wouldn't be worth it.

2. Thank you for the information.

Did you happen to know anything if Calcium Hydroxide will remove the green mask from circuit boards?

If it wouldn't work, I could just scratch the boards and let them sit in CuCl2, until all of the traces underneath dissolved and the green mask falls off.

I'm just trying to lower my recovery costs. A bag of Calcium Hydroxide is a lot cheaper than HCl.

Grelko said:
I've been reading over many things lately and had some questions that I wasn't sure about. I didn't want to make a new thread for each of these questions, but a moderator can split them up if needed.

I have a large bag of slaked lime "Calcium Hydroxide" in the garage that I was going to use to neutralize my waste solutions when I get around to it.

I'll most likely use the HCl +Aluminum conversion in this thread for any AgCl. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=732&hilit=hcl+aluminum+silver+chloride I get scrap Aluminum quite often.

My questions are...

If I use the HCl + Aluminum conversion, after the Aluminum is dissolved, can I drop it out as powder using Calcium Hydroxide to neutralize the solution? (The same way I would treat waste solutions) Afterwards, I could make some Aluminum bars, pound it into a sheet and re-use to convert more AgCl.

I was wondering if this would work also.

If I use HCl on silver mylars, since the silver is so thin, it should turn into AgCl right?

If so, can I use Calcium Hydroxide with Karo "or sugar", instead of Sodium Hydroxide and Karo to convert the AgCl back to silver?

Will the HCl dissolve the Mylar itself, or just remove the silver?

Edit - I thought this might work, because of this thread. http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14623&p=230303&hilit=silver+keyboard+hcl#p230303 At the very end of it I noticed comment.
FrugalRefiner said:
But this thread is about keyboard mylars, which are silver. AR of any type or HCl/bleach will not dissolve the silver. They will turn it into insoluble silver chloride.

Dave

Another question,

Is it possible to remove the green mask from circuit boards using Calcium Hydroxide instead of Sodium Hydroxide?

If so, can I filter out the green mask afterwards and use the leftover Calcium Hydroxide for converting AgCl?

you can burn of silver mylar to ash and then add borax, sodium carbonate (as flux). mix together with ash and then melt to be bullion).

Sent from my SM-J105F using Tapatalk

joandinan said:
you can burn of silver mylar to ash and then add borax, sodium carbonate (as flux). mix together with ash and then melt to be bullion).

Thanks for the help :) Except that, I'm not allowed to burn anything in town, so I can't burn it to ash. On a side note, I don't use nitric or sulfuric, or a cell either.

I like to use the process I came up with for mylars, but it takes a while. (works good for me though) http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24010&p=259931&hilit=grelko+mylar#p259931

I was just wondering if HCl would work, since it's the main thing I use and wouldn't need to worry about different disposal methods.

The only chemicals I use are HCl, H2O2 3%, bleach "sodium hypochlorite", SMB and borax. I bought a bag of Calcium Hydroxide for neutralizing waste solutions.

Grelko said:
joandinan said:

Thanks for the help :) Except that, I'm not allowed to burn anything in town, so I can't burn it to ash.

[emoji28] sorry.., you're right.

joandinan said:
Grelko said:
joandinan said:

Thanks for the help :) Except that, I'm not allowed to burn anything in town, so I can't burn it to ash.

[emoji28] sorry.., you're right.

I think the way I process Mylars might be the best way for me right now :lol:

Back