Heat exchanger

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tankman

Picked up this QVF glass coil heat exchanger/condenser along with some other lab equipment recently. Never seen one one like this before until now. The question is, what sort of industry would use one? It measures about 750mm tall and 450mm across

I was thinking of turning it into a light feature by running a couple strips of multi colored LED,s through the tubes for a start. Or maybe, even make a hefty coffee table out of it.

Attachments

• QVF glass coil.jpg
    QVF glass coil.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 196
Nice condenser for HNO3...
Nice heating system for solutions...
Hmm, use it with the scrubber unit...
CuCl2 tank heater, and acid vapor condenser in a single package...
I can think of lots of uses for that glassware, beside tableware.

Too nice for the lab to use as a desk lamp.
! would trade you an LED desk lamp for it and put that sucker to work transferring heat or cooling stuff off...

macfixer01: At the time of picking this up, I was told it cost close to $50,000.00 NZ dollars, to buy new and bring into the country. Cannot see it being that costly, surely?

Butcher: I did not realize the true potential of the coil. As for the "LED desk lamp" I will pass lol :)

Score! I found me a new toy today for the shop!

https://gadsden.craigslist.org/for/d/water-distillation-system/6579671721.html

Tankman said:
macfixer01: At the time of picking this up, I was told it cost close to $50,000.00 NZ dollars, to buy new and bring into the country. Cannot see it being that costly, surely?

Butcher: I did not realize the true potential of the coil. As for the "LED desk lamp" I will pass lol :)

I have no way of knowing. Just seeing the quality and workmanship of their products, and the size of this condenser, My initial thought was that I bet this easily had to cost to at least $5,000 US? But did it cost $50,000 NZ ($34,500 US)? That seems an awful lot of money, but I suppose it’s possible. Unfortunately I doubt they’re the sort of company that posts list prices. More than likely you’d have to get a quote through one of their salespeople for the part number you have, or whatever their current equivalent of it is. Then they may not be willing to help since you’re not the typical industrial customer they deal with, and aren’t likely to actually buy anything from them. My impression has always been with corporate sales that your pricing level and even giving you the time of day all hinges on who the customer is, what business you already did with them, what future sales it may generate, if there is some PR value in getting your company to use their products, and so on.

Sour mash... Durastill... Sounds like an episode from Mythbusters. :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, After giving it some thought, I have decided to list it on Ebay. Better that someone can get use out of it than turning it into a oversized light feature. That, and it is somewhat to big for my needs for gold and silver recovery/refining.

As for the value, at the end of the day, it is only worth what someone wants to pay for it.

Back