PM Recovery method with molten salts

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glorycloud

I though that this was an interesting read. Thoughts about the process anyone?

https://cordis.europa.eu/result/rcn/205208_en.html

Sounds like it isn't a finished process. I think they will find out that reality will put some obstacles in their way...

The process sounds nice until you start to analyze it. For example, solder doesn't just drop off copper and collect in a pool. It will cling to component legs and copper traces. Copper traces will tangle with glass fibers and create a large mess of copper and glass mixed with remnants of components.

Göran

The idea is interesting since in theory molten salt ought to be caustic enough to dissolve almost any metal, and waste materials should decompose and burn off. Their description sounds a little strange though, more like a proposal to hook investors or something? One obvious thing that came to mind is the assertion that it operates using molten salt at 400°C to 450°C, but the melting point of common salt is actually 801°C? I can’t imagine they meant something other than sodium chloride, or would have probably said “a” molten salt...?

Macfixer01

I guess it depends on the crowd. When I read molten salt, I immediately think of a cyanide....but, that's because of my mechanical engineering background. When you read metallurgy texts they use molten salt baths for all kinds of things....largely the tempering of steel. Rarely are they talking about table salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of thoughts, my chemistry isn't that good so I'm probably a long way off
Its a first stage recovery/ concentration process, there would be a lot of further separation to do.
I don't believe for a second that no vapors would be emitted from area B or that its not a toxic process
Nitrate, chloride or cyanide salts would dissolve metals that they say are being collected at different areas? Tin is left dissolved in the molten salt, would something like Tin Sulfate be possible?

Cheers Wal

Back